Can't store more than 1 drive image RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm wondering if my problem is specific to my install :

Windows 7 can't keep more than 1 disk image (VHD) at a time in the backup location. This is in fact VERY troublesome as I can't keep many different-state-images of my install. The only solution would be to rename the "WindowsImageBackup" folder each and every time?

Thanks for your feedback,

Alex
    Saturday, July 11, 2009 11:00 PM

Answers

• Oh well for those of you who are still wondering (!) :

vssadmin resize shadowstorage /For=X: /On=X: /MaxSize=UNBOUNDED

Where X is your backup drive, and "UNBOUNDED" can be replaced by any specific value.

Thanks though for the help JoelbX. Still don't know why *default* value was set to 37 Gig...
    Sunday, July 12, 2009 10:29 PM

All replies

• The only solution would be to rename the "WindowsImageBackup" folder each and every time?

Thanks for your feedback,

Alex
    You should rename it each time so you remember which backup was made when, in my opinion.

Anyone have any suggestions?

- JoelbX
    Saturday, July 11, 2009 11:12 PM
  • Well in fact what I want to know if it is specific to my install. (Almost) never used vista, so I didn't know if it was a new Windows 7 bug, or an old "feature" implemented since vista. I was asking myself because in the Windows Help they say :

"If you're saving your system images on an internal or external drive, or on CDs or DVDs, you can keep several versions of system images. On internal and external hard drives, older system images will be deleted when the drive runs out of space."

But then going to "Manage Windows Backup disk space" only lets me decide between letting Windows take care of space used for backup (and it says as a note "Maximum 37.26 Gb" ?!?!?) OR keep only the latest file. Why that 37.26 Gb limit to keep images? My backup drive is 250 Gb and I have something like 20 Gb of data on my OS HD...

Renaming the folders, though not as sexy as providing a backup name, should still work. But it breaks the "set it and forget it" methodology.

And in any case, which files are really important in the backup? MediaID? SPPMetadataCache folder? Catalog? All those XML in "Backup..." ?

Thanks,

Alex
    Sunday, July 12, 2009 11:12 AM
  • Hmm, I have never used the backup feature or Vista, for that matter, only 3rd party backup tools, so I couldn't tell you if it is a bug in your install or not.

- JoelbX
    Sunday, July 12, 2009 1:40 PM
  • Oh well for those of you who are still wondering (!) :

vssadmin resize shadowstorage /For=X: /On=X: /MaxSize=UNBOUNDED

Where X is your backup drive, and "UNBOUNDED" can be replaced by any specific value.

Thanks though for the help JoelbX. Still don't know why *default* value was set to 37 Gig...
    Sunday, July 12, 2009 10:29 PM