none
DNS issue?

Question

• I have a new Win 10 Pro laptop for a user. It is in the domain now. I do an ipconfig /all and it shows me it's ip address. From another machine, I can ping it by it's ip address. I can not ping it by name ; it is timing out. If I do an nslookup on the ip address, it shows me the computer name and the correct ip address. If i do an nslookup on the computer name, it shows me the computer name but with a different ip address. If i ping that different ip address, it times out.

This laptop used to have a name of Comp64. I had to rename it to Comp65.  If i ping comp65, it times out. If I ping comp64, it gives me the correct ip address. I have deleted comp64 from AD. If I do an nslookup ipaddress, it gives me the comp65 name and the correct ip address. If i do an nslookup comp64, it gives me the correct ip address. If i do an nslookup comp65, it gives me the wrong ip address.

• Edited by JunAlc Tuesday, January 8, 2019 5:12 PM
    Tuesday, January 8, 2019 3:53 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Would you please try ipconfig /flushdns command to empty the local DNS cache and then ipconfig /registerdns command to re-register the DNS Resource Records of your computer?

Regards,

Zoe

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, January 9, 2019 2:18 AM
  • Hello Zoe,

I have already tried doing the ipconfig /flushdns and ipconfig /registerdns with no effect.

Thanks..

Wednesday, January 9, 2019 3:08 PM
  • Hi,

Have you tried clearing the cache on the server side? You may find this option on the DNS Manager console.

Regards,

Zoe

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, January 10, 2019 3:06 AM
  • I can now ping the laptop by both ip address and name. I can do an nslookup by name. I still am not able to do an nslookup by ip address. It say's localhost can not find the ip address: non-existent domain.
    Friday, January 11, 2019 7:32 PM
  • Hi,

Would you please check to make sure that you have the corresponding PTR record in the Reverse Lookup Zone?

If you don't see the reverse lookup zone you may have to manually create one and re-register the record.

Regards,

Zoe

Monday, January 14, 2019 1:51 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful.

Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Zoe

Wednesday, January 16, 2019 2:02 AM
  • I have a corresponding PTR record in the reverse lookup zone.

Today, I can ping and do an nslookup by ip address.

Ping by host name times out.

Nslookup by hostname gives me another ip address(wrong ip address).

Wednesday, January 16, 2019 10:04 PM
  • if you looking at your dns and review the forweard lookup zone (your domain name) for the following:

Sort after IP-Address

- does the wrong ip-address exist twice?

- what does the timestamp say to the record? (static or in the past couple days?)

sort after values (hostnames)

- does the computername exist twice?

- timestampe?

did you maybe reused an "old" computername?

do you have multiple DNS Servers (and the zone replication / transfer does not work propperly?)

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

Wednesday, January 16, 2019 11:26 PM
  • if you looking at your dns and review the forweard lookup zone (your domain name) for the following:

Sort after IP-Address

- does the wrong ip-address exist twice?

- what does the timestamp say to the record? (static or in the past couple days?)

sort after values (hostnames)

- does the computername exist twice?

- timestampe?

did you maybe reused an "old" computername?

do you have multiple DNS Servers (and the zone replication / transfer does not work propperly?)

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

The laptop I am working on has an ip of 10.10.1.142. Looking at the forward lookup zone, I see 3 machines with this ip address, none of the the laptop I am working on. In the forward lookup zone, the laptop I am working on has an ip on a different subnet.

The laptop has a different name before. The old name shows the correct ip address. The new name shows it's Ip on a different subnet.

Thursday, January 17, 2019 3:54 PM
  • Hi,

Is there a DHCP server in your environment and is DNS dynamic update enabled?

Please manually delete the wrong records and make sure the following option is checked in your DHCP scope settings.

You may also would like to enable scavenging on your DNS server so the stale records can be automatically deleted.

For your reference:

Don’t be afraid of DNS Scavenging. Just be patient.

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/networking/2008/03/19/dont-be-afraid-of-dns-scavenging-just-be-patient/

Regards,

Zoe

Friday, January 18, 2019 2:41 AM
  • Hi,

Best Regards,

Zoe

Tuesday, January 22, 2019 8:59 AM
  • I checked the scavenging properties in our server and it is setup for scavenging.

Today, I can ping the laptop by ip and by host name. I can do an nslookup by hostname but not by ip address.

Tuesday, January 22, 2019 5:19 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for the update and sorry for the late reply.

If you would like to nslookup by IP address, please make sure that you have corrosponding PTR record in the reverse lookup zone and make sure that there isn't any double entries.

If there is only one PTR record with both correct IP address and hostname, please run ipconfig /registerdns command and check if the issue persists. If there is more than one PTR records,

please manually delete the incorrect ones.

If the issue still persists, please run nslookup -d2 command for the details of DNS resolution and post the output in the forum.

Please pay attention to your personal information if there is any.

Regards,

Zoe

Monday, January 28, 2019 1:48 AM
  • Hi,

Best Regards,

Zoe

Wednesday, January 30, 2019 2:54 AM
  • Hi,

Was your issue resolved?

We'd love to hear your feedback about the solution.

If there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to post in the forum.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Regards,

Zoe

Thursday, January 31, 2019 8:43 AM
  • Hi,

As this thread has been quiet for a while, we will propose the solution as answer. If you need further help, please feel free to reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unpropose the answer as you wish.

BTW, we'd love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience, you can help other community members facing similar problems. Thanks for your understanding and efforts.

Best Regards,

Zoe

Thursday, February 7, 2019 1:24 AM