none
PAM project duration? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I know this is a hard question - but anyone got an idea on what a typical PAM project might take (days/effort/duration)?

Typical project would include:

• Planning, analysis, design, development, testing, production deployment, supporting documentation, training

With a PAM project, there is another forest, another MIM instance, tweaking the existing Forest AD Groups, etc etc

Then it also depends on the number of privileged accounts, groups and the complexity of the PAM/MIM Policies.

So anyone have any idea on duration? or is this another "how long is a piece of string" discussion?

Thanks,

Sk

Thursday, August 18, 2016 4:41 AM

Answers

All replies

• We would typically do a whiteboard around the PAM processes and related components. At the completion of the whiteboard we would have a good idea of exactly what you are looking to implement. We would then deliver you a rough order of magnitude "ROM" for the engagement. That would give you a good idea of the overall project costs. 

I like your "how long is a piece of string" comment. That definitely applies in this case.

Let me know if the whiteboard is something that you are interested in.

Our websites: www.bluechip-llc.com, www.bluevaultsoftware.com

Thanks,

Mark

Mark Creekmore - BlueVault Software http://www.bluevaultsoftware.com

Thursday, August 18, 2016 1:26 PM
  • Yeah, thats pretty much how we do things too - however, once in a while, we have a customer that wants a quote up front without any workshops, discussions, analysis, etc. So we need to thumb suck an estimate :)

Hence my 'silly' question...how long is a piece of string...in this case, how long would it be to do a foundation PAM project, with out of the box config, for a few accounts/groups.

We got nothing to go on, so we'll land up giving them some sort of a ROM too.

Cheers

Thursday, August 18, 2016 6:45 PM
  • I can usually get a product install and a lab/POC going in half a day, plus or minus a few hours depending on environmental variables.  You may have already seen it, but there is a walk through out on Microsoft's doc site:  

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-identity-manager/pam/configuring-mim-environment-for-pam

We have a full walk through of setting up PAM in the Microsoft Identity Manager 2016 Handbook.

Best,

Jeff Ingalls

• Marked as answer by Shim Kwan Sunday, August 28, 2016 11:03 PM
    Monday, August 22, 2016 2:50 PM
  • Thanks Jeff, that's helpful
    Sunday, August 28, 2016 11:03 PM