none
"Album art can't be changed when a song from the album is in use. Please try again later."

Question

• I've been using the Windows 7 RC and having a great time, but after restoring or adding to the music library ("My Music" and what not), I've noticed that it is impossible for me to manage album art. For all the positive experiences with Windows 7, this one completely baffles me. When I try to drag album art over to an album in the library, it simply tells me "Album art can't be changed when a song from the album is in use. Please try again later." I've Googled this to death for over 6 hours and haven't found a solution. Obviously I wasn't playing the songs, but there is no obvious reason as to why they may be in use.
    Friday, May 15, 2009 4:35 PM

Answers

• Yes, this is a bug in the RC.  The team is aware of it and will be addressing it post-RC.  Thanks for helping point it out.

• Marked as answer by Turn7to11 Saturday, May 16, 2009 8:19 AM
    Saturday, May 16, 2009 4:50 AM

All replies

• Just to add to the above comment,it would be nice to add songs to the playlist from the screen saver album art scrolling in the background.If you see an album that you might want to hear now you have to go back to the list find the album ,add to playlist etc.etc.Also why not make album art a screem saver option in control panel?
    Friday, May 15, 2009 9:53 PM
  • This is getting impossible! I cannot manage my album art no matter what I do. I can't even add just one individual song from an album and change it's album art. Stuff that's not even 30 seconds old in my music library tells me it's in use and cannot be updated. After over six hours of troubleshooting, none of this makes sense. What could possibly be the culplrit here? If this is a bug that somehow made it into the RC, it is a massive one.
    Friday, May 15, 2009 11:37 PM
  • Yes, this is a bug in the RC.  The team is aware of it and will be addressing it post-RC.  Thanks for helping point it out.

• Marked as answer by Turn7to11 Saturday, May 16, 2009 8:19 AM
    Saturday, May 16, 2009 4:50 AM
  • Awesome, thanks for the response, zachd. You gave me a lot of closure on this issue and I daresay even a degree of peace. Just one more, quick yes and no question: Will this be patched for current RC users at some point in the future, or will this not be available until RTM?
    Saturday, May 16, 2009 8:18 AM
  • Awesome, thanks for the response, zachd. You gave me a lot of closure on this issue and I daresay even a degree of peace. Just one more, quick yes and no question: Will this be patched for current RC users at some point in the future, or will this not be available until RTM?

I really hope this bug does get fixed during the RC as it is really annoying to not be able to add cover art to my albums. But thanks for the heads up that this is definately being fixed.
    Saturday, May 16, 2009 8:39 PM
  • its a bug in the RTM version as well.
    Saturday, October 3, 2009 1:15 PM
  • Can someone from Microsoft please confirm that for whatever reason this bug has not been fixed in the RTM?
    Monday, October 5, 2009 9:53 AM
  • Well here it is November 4th, AFTER the release date, and it's still a bug.  I frankly don't care that "the team is aware of it" if the team doesn't fix it.  So far I have not been impressed with Windows 7.
    Wednesday, November 4, 2009 10:15 AM
  • For those still hitting this, could you check whether your files have ID3v2.3 or ID3v2.4 tags? You can use a tool like mp3tag (or possibly iTunes) to find out.

Windows & Media Player don't support metadata from ID3v2.4 tagged files. In my case, I think this was causing the error and the message text was not correct for the actual problem.
    Monday, January 4, 2010 5:22 PM
  • I tried to reproduce the error, and even though I received the dialog telling me the song was in use, the Album Art still updated.  Strange.

If this was helpful, please vote. If it solves the issue, please click Propose as Answer. Thanks!
    Monday, January 4, 2010 7:21 PM
  • Could you verify whether it updated the art just in the Media Player library or do you see the updated image when you select the individual file in Explorer? In my scenario, I'm pretty sure the library was updated, but not the actual file (which can then cause an incorrect cover on import).
    Tuesday, January 5, 2010 7:04 PM
  • If the song isn't playing, I was able to change the album art and see that it did update in Windows File Explorer.

I then started playing the song and tried to change the art to another image (I'm just dragging random images from my pictures folder here).  I got the error and WMP updated, but as you suspect:  the actual file never got the update.  I stopped the player and tried again: same error.  Then I switched to another song and tried and it worked.  So it seems the mechanism (at least for me) works as long as the file isn't locked.

PS.  Not that it bothers me much to have a random image on my Weird Al single, but do you know how I clear my custom artwork?

If this was helpful, please vote. If it solves the issue, please click Propose as Answer. Thanks!
    Wednesday, January 6, 2010 2:21 AM
  • You can remove embedded album art with a tool like Mp3tag .

It might also be necessary to clear the album art cache, by removing all files in C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Media Player\Art Cache\LocalMLS
    Tim De Baets
    http://www.bm-productions.tk
    Wednesday, January 6, 2010 3:06 PM
  • I was really hoping that Media Player would let me "Right Click > Update from Web" and it'd go back to the default image.

If this was helpful, please vote by clicking the green triangle. If it solves the issue, click Propose as Answer. Thanks!
    Thursday, January 7, 2010 1:27 AM
  • If you want the original artwork back, you could try right-clicking the song and selecting Find Album Info. Another option is to look for the artwork on the web yourself, and drag/dropping it to WMP.
    Tim De Baets
    Thursday, January 7, 2010 1:49 PM
  • I tried the Find Album Info option but no luck.  It's not really critical to me, I'll find the art online and drag it back onto the album.  But this makes some great feedback for MS.

If this was helpful, please vote by clicking the green triangle. If it solves the issue, click Propose as Answer. Thanks!
    Friday, January 8, 2010 12:35 AM
  • Hi, I have been frustrated with that problem recently too.  I found a way to fix it though.  I deleted the entire album from the library, then went the directory where my music was stored then moved the mp3's from the album to the library by itself.  After that I moved my album art to that specefic album and it worked great!  Problem fixed, give it a shot and let me know if it worked for you.

Thanks
    Tuesday, February 2, 2010 9:55 PM
  • I found that the error message is misleading. In my case the MP3 files were read only. I changed this setting and it worked.
    Sunday, November 28, 2010 6:50 PM
  • February 24, 2011, and the problem persists. Nothing has changed. Deficiency # 1011 to WMP 12 (besides removing advance tag editor, the horrid UI, removal of taskbar player (o.k., a concession of the newer taskbar jumplist design and overhaul of  library integration, I get it), but this... it's miserable. What's worse is I have WMP 12 displaying the incorrect cover art on multiple albums in the main UI, but the playlist shows the correct cover art,  as does the album in proper media players. I have deleted the db and specific cover art.... it comes back! this makes NO sense as previously in WMP 11, everything in my library was correct.

This is a classic example of breaking what isn't broke.. Instead of adding onto the working base that held the patronage to WMP, Microsoft has alienated those loyalists to WMP 11 (i.e. the minority) by this abysmal successor. It almost makes me want to go back to iTunes, how sad is that?!

The irony is technet just did the same damn thing while creaing this account. It spit out: "Create a Microsoft TechNet Profile to contribute" after I'd already created a profile, and then told me that the profile was taken (i.e. that which was just created); this is eerily reminiscent of this now gimpled media player and its inability to change coverart (which if worked correctly wouldn't need to be), never mind throwing away the very useful tag editor. I just added an improperly tagged album and guess what?? Although I changed the artists name, it doesn't propely show up on external reader (cd art diplsay) and player doesn't append to ID3.

F--kin' pathetic, and you Redmond employees that worked on this abysmal player should quit I.T. in general... just quit, like your pathetic stepchild offspring of WMP 11. FAIL.

Thursday, February 24, 2011 8:16 AM
  • fixed it: WinAmp. No more problems: correct screen art, tags, etc., w/ an advanced tag editor. Go figure.

It's pretty bad when you unnecessarily screw up a somewhat good thing and can't even iron out bugs from 2 years ago.

Thursday, February 24, 2011 5:23 PM
  • I am able to reliably produce the dialog: "Windows Media Player: Album art can't be changed when a song from the album is in use. Please try again later. [OK]" I am using Windows Media Player as distributed with Windows 7 with all updates applied as of March 15, 2011. In my case I get this dialog whenever I try to assign album art to FLAC files. FLAC metadata is handled by the "WMP Tag Plus" plug-in from BM Productions [http://bmproductions.fixnum.org/index.htm?http://bmproductions.fixnum.org/wmptagplus/]. Despite the dialog the album art does appear to have been assigned properly. This case seems to support the idea that this dialog is produced for I/O or plug-in errors in general rather than for the specific case of a file in use (locked).

Does Windows Media Player report more specific error information in a log file or other mechanism that would facilitate further debugging?

• Edited by User 01 Tuesday, March 15, 2011 4:19 PM Correct typo.
    Tuesday, March 15, 2011 4:19 PM
  • User 01, I'm the author of WMP Tag Plus, and I was able to reproduce the error on my system for FLAC files. Thanks for reporting this.

I'm pretty sure that this is caused by the fact that WMP is unable to embed the album art into the music file, like it does for MP3/WMA/M4A. This is because WMP Tag Plus doesn't support reading/writing embedded album art yet (this is planned for the next major release).

WMP also 'caches' the album art as hidden JPG files in the same folder as the music files, which is why the album art does appear to have been assigned properly.

Tim De Baets
    • Proposed as answer by User 01 Thursday, March 17, 2011 5:49 PM
    Wednesday, March 16, 2011 11:05 PM
  • Tim De Baets, great job on WMP Tag Plus! It is an extremely useful plug-in. Thanks for confirming the error for the case of assigning album art to FLAC files via Windows Media Player.

Thursday, March 17, 2011 5:48 PM
  • After searching many resources and reading various threads on WMP album art issues, switching to WinAmp is the best advice I have encountered.  I refuse to read one more suggestion to delete the art cache and watch it take antother day to rebuild.  The libary is laughable unstable.

Figure it out, guys.  You are smarter than this product reveals.

Thursday, May 26, 2011 5:04 AM
  • Good to see the team's hard at work on it.  Hopefully we'll see results by 2014.
    Monday, February 13, 2012 9:22 PM
  • This was happening to me for a particular album.

Finally, using "Get Info" in iTunes, I was able to see that there were multiple pieces of artwork associated with some of the tracks in the album. I deleted all the art one-by-one and was then able to paste the art into the album correctly. Very confusing!

Monday, July 9, 2012 3:42 AM
  • I've also had this problem quite a bit, and it's always (until now) been mystifying as to why WMP (12) would say the file was in use when it wasn't.

I finally decided to have a look at the properties of the file itself in Explorer, and guess what I found?  A number of the files I had trouble updating the art for were marked with "Read Only" attributes.  So, I turned off the "Read Only" attribute for the folder that my MP3s reside in, and all its contents and subfolders, and voila, no problem updating the files.

Now, if stupid WMP actually gave a useful, meaningful error message like "The album you're trying to update is marked as read only", that wouldn't be so bad.  Even better, it could prompt you as to whether you wanted to override it or not.  I guess the WMP programmer(s) didn't bother to write code to check why they couldn't open some file for writing, and just assumed that the "Album in use" message would be suitable for any case where the file couldn't be opened for writing.

• Proposed as answer by PS1673 Tuesday, October 22, 2013 11:11 PM
    Monday, November 12, 2012 3:04 PM
  • Wow, after a year of continually seeing this error, losing my custom artwork (lots of cassette conversions) and not being able to re-Paste the Album Art and constantly getting the error "Album art can't be changed...," I think this fixed the problem.  I just changed the properties of my music folder and all subfolders and files, deselecting "Read Only," and all the correct artwork is now showing up!!  Using Windows 8.1, WPM 12.  So obviously, after at least 4 years of people reporting this issue, Microsoft still didn't get it fixed.  If they just changed the error prompt, as you suggested, it could have saved me hours and hours. Thank you.
    Tuesday, October 22, 2013 11:18 PM
  • 5 years now. Just pathetic. What is this company doing? I'm guessing they take our bug reports, print them out, and throw those printouts in the air, giggling at our frustration and chanting, "Let it rain!" I can't imagine them spending their time...y'know...fixing the bugs.
    Monday, October 6, 2014 5:18 PM
  • Just for fun want to add an update.  Now 3/8/2015.  I have the problem and searched this thread.  Still a problem.  Shame.  Liked some features of WMP but prob will abandon.
    Sunday, March 8, 2015 4:44 PM
  • it's 2017, why isn't this fixed???

Tuesday, March 7, 2017 6:12 PM
  • It is now October 2018, and the problem still exists.

I can follow the *exact* steps on various videos. They can drag and drop (or copy/paste) the cover art to the mp3 file in MediaPlayer, I cannot. I get the error in the title of this thread.

I checked, and the mp3 file is *not* read only.

I am not going to download the hundredth online app to get something done that Windows should have done without a download.

I have spent over two hours looking for a solution. I am giving up.

Saturday, October 13, 2018 5:25 PM