none
Protection Groups Confusing - Options seem to encompass eachother RRS feed

• Question

• I am protecting a server with a SQL database. I can select to back the share, but I can also backup the Drive the share is on. What happens if I choose both? Does backing up both mean I con recover the share or the volume, but not shares on teh volumes if I backed up drive alone?

I can backup BMR and system state. Doesnt BMR include system state, the share, and the volume?

Ive used many backup systems and I am having a hard time with this one.

Thank you,

TJCooper

Thursday, May 1, 2014 9:21 PM

All replies

• HI,

If you select a share, and that share is on a volume that you also select for protection, DPM will show two recoverable objects, one for the share, and one for the whole volume.  However, from a recovery point perspective, they are a single data source.   Yes, BMR does include systemstate including the registry that contains shares and share permisions.  BMR would also contain the C: volume.

However, Assuming it's main purpose is a SQL Sever, the best way to protect that server would be to add SQL protection and protect the DB daily (or more frequently if in full recovery mode), and BMR for DR and perhaps just take a weekly BMR backup.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, May 2, 2014 9:15 PM
  • In my current backup system, I backup volumes, that way, I can restore any object on that volume, restore the entire volume, or if it has to be up mount the volume and boot a VM from it (via iSCSI).

The volume backup would seem to include everything. The only advantage of doing a SQL DB separately would be the ease of recovering the SQL database by itself absent any other volume data.

It would seem that BMR would cover everything on the C drive including the DB and individual volume protection would cover everything else, typically working file data. However, when you select volume it reminds you to select system state if you need to do a BMR (or something like that).

I wonder if a volume backup doesn't kick off SQL processes and windows processes that is included in a system state backup.

Friday, June 19, 2015 6:01 PM