Unable to receive Faxes on HP Officejet 6500 after connection to Windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• I recently purchased a new PC with Windows 7.  I connected my exisiting HP Officejet 6500 to the PC thru USB connection.  I use DSL.  I have one physical phone line with two phone numbers - one for voice and one for fax.  The fax phone number uses a double ring.  Previously, when the 6500 was connected to the PC with Windows XP (also through a USB connection), faxes were received.  Now they are not.  A phone cord directly connects to the 6500 from a phone, without going through the computer. The 6500 has phone jacks for one line or two extensions.  Faxes are not received in either case.

Windows 7 was preloaded on the PC but I had to go through a setup process.  Part of that setup was definitions of existing phone lines/number configurations.  I wonder if I made a mistake in the setup.

Suggestions?  Thanks for any responses.

Thursday, October 28, 2010 2:55 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for the post!

According to your description, you cannot receive the fax after connecting this HP Officejet 6500 with Windows 7 PC.

Can you send the fax by using this machine?

Please try to  remove the third-party antivirus software and Clean Boot to check if the issue persists.

You can also refer to: Troubleshoot fax problems

Regards,

Miya

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Miya Yao Friday, November 5, 2010 9:47 AM
    Monday, November 1, 2010 9:07 AM
  • You may have configured Windows Fax and Scan as the default Fax tool.

Click Start=>All programs=>Windows Fax and Scan=>select Tools=>select Fax account. Delete the Fax account.

Check there first in case any fax documents were received before you delete the account. 

Monday, November 1, 2010 1:05 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for the post!

According to your description, you cannot receive the fax after connecting this HP Officejet 6500 with Windows 7 PC.

Can you send the fax by using this machine?

Please try to  remove the third-party antivirus software and Clean Boot to check if the issue persists.

You can also refer to: Troubleshoot fax problems

Regards,

Miya

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, November 1, 2010 9:07 AM
  • You may have configured Windows Fax and Scan as the default Fax tool.

Click Start=>All programs=>Windows Fax and Scan=>select Tools=>select Fax account. Delete the Fax account.

Check there first in case any fax documents were received before you delete the account. 

Monday, November 1, 2010 1:05 PM