locked
Error When Try to Create new Column RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hi

    When trying to create a new column being in a document library or list the following error is received. I've done some basic searching but haven't come up with any hits as yet, I was wondering if someone maybe able to assist. We are running SharePoint 2007 with Service Pack 3.

    Thanks,

    Ben

    Object reference not set to an instance of an object.   at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPTimeZone.EnsureTZData()
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPTimeZone.get_Information()
       at ASP._layouts_fldnew_aspx.__Render__control10(HtmlTextWriter __w, Control parameterContainer)
       at System.Web.UI.Control.RenderChildrenInternal(HtmlTextWriter writer, ICollection children)
       at System.Web.UI.Control.RenderChildrenInternal(HtmlTextWriter writer, ICollection children)
       at System.Web.UI.HtmlControls.HtmlForm.RenderChildren(HtmlTextWriter writer)
       at System.Web.UI.HtmlControls.HtmlForm.Render(HtmlTextWriter output)
       at System.Web.UI.HtmlControls.HtmlForm.RenderControl(HtmlTextWriter writer)
       at System.Web.UI.Control.RenderChildrenInternal(HtmlTextWriter writer, ICollection children)
       at System.Web.UI.HtmlControls.HtmlContainerControl.Render(HtmlTextWriter writer)
       at System.Web.UI.Control.RenderChildrenInternal(HtmlTextWriter writer, ICollection children)
       at System.Web.UI.Control.RenderChildrenInternal(HtmlTextWriter writer, ICollection children)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.WebControls.UnsecuredLayoutsPageBase.RenderChildren(HtmlTextWriter writer)
       at System.Web.UI.Page.Render(HtmlTextWriter writer)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.WebControls.UnsecuredLayoutsPageBase.Render(HtmlTextWriter writer)
       at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)

    Wednesday, March 21, 2012 7:20 AM

All replies

  • Check if the Time Zone is properly set (in Regional Settings page) for the site.

    Ram Prasad Meenavalli | MCTS SharePoint 2010 | MCPD SharePoint 2010

    Wednesday, March 21, 2012 7:42 AM
  • Hi Ram,

    Thanks for your suggestion however the Time Zone information is correctly set.

    I've done some more diagnostics and have discovered the following:

    1. After I try and create a new coloumn using an Site Collection Administrator account this issue disappears, even users that would previously receive this error (these users have full control permissions for the site) no longer receive the error.

    2. The error represents itself to users with full control permissions after an IISReset has occured, again creating the coloumn as a Site Collection Administrator the error disappears.

    Any further ideas? 

    Ben

    Wednesday, March 21, 2012 9:23 PM
  • Hi,

    Save this as template and then use that to create a new one and then try if it works .


    Thanks, Rahul Rashu

    Thursday, March 22, 2012 2:49 AM
  • Hi BenS004,

    Can you reproduce the issue with "verbose" to the trace log set for the "All" category in the diagnostic logging for the farm to see if we can get any additional information?  You've run across an obscure issue, and it may be worth you opening a paid support ticket with the SharePoint support team to get to the bottom of it.  When did you apply SP3 to MOSS?  Can you also review the upgrade.log (should be located in the same directory as the ULS logs) for errors to see if there was a problem with the last upgrade?

    Thanks,

    Bob

    Thursday, March 22, 2012 8:19 PM
  •  

    Bob,

    We applied Service Pack three only a week ago however during testing in a development farm this issue wasn't encountered. There was only one error during the upgrade, this occurred when I was trying to reattach the content databases after the upgrade (I detached them before commencing the upgrade). However this error disappeared once I turned off virus scanning for the farm, no further upgrade errors were encountered.

    I have already reproduced the issue while the diagnostic logging was set to full. I did review the log files however I was able to see anything obvious that maybe causing the error, maybe Microsoft support may have more success. Think that’s what I will do now.

    Thanks,

    Ben

    Thursday, March 22, 2012 10:02 PM
  • Ok Ben, I think that's the best thing you can do at this point.  These issues are difficult to troubleshoot via forum.

    Thanks!

    Bob

    Friday, March 23, 2012 2:39 PM