Snail Slow file management RRS feed

• Question

• Faster Vista

Added July 28th 2008

Faster Vista

File Management Fixed and all issues fixed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

At my site listed below go to File Renaming fixed and look and see.

CAUTION do not add this to Microsoft knowledge base, my information on my site.

ADDED July 28th 2008, at 8:00 Am Central standard time. Will take a couple of hours to add to this page try at 10:00 Am central standard time.

Go to link at: http://bibwoe.com/1/InfoPages/VistaTweaks/tabid/84/Default.aspx

ADVANCED USERS, Beginners and Intermediate Users, have CAUTION changing these settings.

Good Luck and Blessings

Don W. Boulton II

Monday, July 14, 2008 4:44 PM

Answers

•  

Faster Vista

File Management Fixed and all issues fixed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ADDED July 28th 2008, at 8:00 Am Central standard time. Will take a couple of hours to add to this page try at 10:00 Am central standard time.

In safe mode it does file management just as fast as XP Pro, like it is supposed to.

I noticed in safe mode it only loaded 32 bit drivers from system 32. And all of my 32bit programs do file management moving and saving files like they are supposed to in normal startup, its any X64 programs and Vista's 64 bit problems.

Its your 64 bit drivers and I think since you do not experience this with Intel dual core and most of the posts I see are people that have AMD 64 X2 like mine its your AMD and/or Nvidia chipset driver, or somehow Vista will not except my Nvidia drivers, even though I have tried all Nvidia updated drivers and motherboard and AMD, none worked to fix the problem

AMD has a patch and I have tried it. The patch  has to do with time stamping and the processor, and when I first installed Vista Home Premium X64 all three times; it before updates and SP1 had time management problems. Every time I had to reboot I had the month and day correct but always 2010 as the year.

Ok tried your steps, search was not it you mean run, search just showed all 4 MSCONFIG files on my XP PRO installation on my other drive and it took 5 minutes to bring it up and 3 to do the search. Its not XP Pro as two OS's one 32 bit and the other 64 bit on the same machine, I had this problem before I plugged in the drive with XP Pro on it, and only did it to transfer files to my SATA II drive from my IDE ATA, the IDE ATA was not present in the bios before SATA and Vista installations it was added later and the problem was there before and after = no change, index will not run I turn it on and it works' until reboot but it worked fine until updates from Microsoft update, and it will not index when I turn it on it just says it does, and it loses all of the files and folder information of where its supposed to index.

Why do you all make available for download build 6001 with SP1 and inclusive to all updates available and I will format and try it. With another week of work.

BIOS update from ECS

The Fix = Its SMOKING FAST NOW!

I had System propertys,Page Filing and changes to visual effects set right after a new install, SP1 changed settings, SP1 CAUTION it will set System property's to Background services and that's alot of the problems with 64 bit programs.

Thanks

Don W. Boulton II

Thursday, July 17, 2008 11:29 AM

All replies

• Hi Don,

The performance issue can be caused by many factors, such as viruses, third-party software conflictions and hardware limitations.

Currently, I suggest going into Safe Mode (Restart computer, press the F8 key when the boot menu pops up, select [Safe Mode], and boot up) and check if the issue still occurs.

If the issue does not occur in Safe Mode, let’s perform a Clean Boot to test the result.

Clean Boot

========

1. Click Start, type "MSCONFIG" (without the quotations) in the Search Bar and Press "Enter" to start the System Configuration Utility.

Note: Please click Continue if the "User Account Control" window pops up.

2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).

3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".

4. Restart the computer and test the issue.

Note: Clean Boot is a troubleshooting step. If some programs have been disabled, we can re-enable them later. If you see the System Configuration Utility, check the box of "Don't show this message" and then click "OK".

Please test this issue in the Clean Boot environment. If the issue disappears, we can use a 50/50 approach to quickly narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 3:06 AM
  • Thanks Tim.

I will try this sometime today. The problem of slow file management has been occuring since a clean install and after Windows update, before any programs, applications or any other NON Vista X64 software was installed.

But I will try your way to check it and let you know.

Thanks

Don

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 5:42 PM
  •  

Faster Vista

In safe mode it does file management just as fast as XP Pro, like it is supposed to.

I noticed in safe mode it only loaded 32 bit drivers from system 32. And all of my 32bit programs do file management moving and saving files like they are supposed to in normal startup, its any X64 programs and Vista's 64 bit problems.

Its your 64 bit drivers and I think since you do not experience this with Intel dual core and most of the posts I see are people that have AMD 64 X2 like mine its your AMD and/or Nvidia chipset driver, or somehow Vista will not except my Nvidia drivers, even though I have tried all Nvidia updated drivers and motherboard and AMD, none worked to fix the problem

AMD has a patch and I have tried it. The patch  has to do with time stamping and the processor, and when I first installed Vista Home Premium X64 all three times; it before updates and SP1 had time management problems. Every time I had to reboot I had the month and day correct but always 2010 as the year.

Ok tried your steps, search was not it you mean run, search just showed all 4 MSCONFIG files on my XP PRO installation on my other drive and it took 5 minutes to bring it up and 3 to do the search. Its not XP Pro as two OS's one 32 bit and the other 64 bit on the same machine, I had this problem before I plugged in the drive with XP Pro on it, and only did it to transfer files to my SATA II drive from my IDE ATA, the IDE ATA was not present in the bios before SATA and Vista installations it was added later and the problem was there before and after = no change, index will not run I turn it on and it works' until reboot but it worked fine until updates from Microsoft update, and it will not index when I turn it on it just says it does, and it loses all of the files and folder information of where its supposed to index.

Why do you all make available for download build 6001 with SP1 and inclusive to all updates available and I will format and try it. With another week of work.

BIOS update from ECS

The Fix = Its SMOKING FAST NOW!

I had System propertys,Page Filing and changes to visual effects set right after a new install, SP1 changed settings, SP1 CAUTION it will set System property's to Background services and that's alot of the problems with 64 bit programs.

Thanks

Don W. Boulton II

Thursday, July 17, 2008 11:29 AM