none
Trying to submit a wiki article but getting an error RRS feed

• Question

• I have tried two times today to submit a wiki article but each time I see the following message: Sorry, there was a problem with your last request!

Is the site currently down for maintenance? As well, how will I know if my article is being saved or not?

Any help you can provide is appreciated.

Ken

Sunday, March 15, 2015 8:38 PM

Answers

• With that error message I don't think your article got saved. Today's activity seems normal for a Sunday, so there doesn't seem to be an outage. But sometimes our work is not saved and we need to save again. You should try again.

I cannot find any articles by you today. Usually when you save you can see the activity in two places. First, it should show on the main Wiki page that lists recent activity. Second, it should show in your profile on the activity tab. It is possible for the article to get saved and not show up in these two places, but your error message indicates it did not get saved.

When I publish new articles I include my own personal tag, so I can quickly find my articles. You can do a tag search for all articles with any given tag. That is the most reliable way to be tell if the article exists. The tag I use is "rlmueller". On the main Wiki page I add to the url to do a tag search, so the url becomes as follows:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/tags/rlmueller/default.aspx

This finds all articles with my tag. You can do similar, just substitute your own unique tag.

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services

Monday, March 16, 2015 2:50 AM

All replies

• With that error message I don't think your article got saved. Today's activity seems normal for a Sunday, so there doesn't seem to be an outage. But sometimes our work is not saved and we need to save again. You should try again.

I cannot find any articles by you today. Usually when you save you can see the activity in two places. First, it should show on the main Wiki page that lists recent activity. Second, it should show in your profile on the activity tab. It is possible for the article to get saved and not show up in these two places, but your error message indicates it did not get saved.

When I publish new articles I include my own personal tag, so I can quickly find my articles. You can do a tag search for all articles with any given tag. That is the most reliable way to be tell if the article exists. The tag I use is "rlmueller". On the main Wiki page I add to the url to do a tag search, so the url becomes as follows:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/tags/rlmueller/default.aspx

This finds all articles with my tag. You can do similar, just substitute your own unique tag.

Monday, March 16, 2015 2:50 AM
  • Thanks Richard for the reply.

My wiki is not very long but it does have a lot of pictures. Would you recommend I upload half of it, save it and then edit it to add in the remainder? Not sure how else to get around what seems to be a timeout issue.

Ken

Monday, March 16, 2015 12:38 PM
  • That might help. When I have images I upload, then wait maybe 15 seconds, then insert, then wait up to a few minutes before the image shows. I need to be patient. It can never hurt to save the article, then add images later. I do that myself.

Monday, March 16, 2015 9:53 PM
  • Thanks for your help Richard.

Using the search link you provided I was able to find my wiki article from yesterday using my tag. I have since cleaned it up, added my images and finalized the result here: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/30264.creating-an-microsoft-application-insights-resource.aspx

Another question (and if you are not the right person to ask please say so) - when I went to edit the article I was showing as the person who published it. The article edits (but not the original posting) now show under my Activity. However, the New Articles count in the TechNet Wiki section under My Profile did not increment from zero to 1. How do I fix this?

Ken

Tuesday, March 17, 2015 1:25 AM
  • Wow, so your article got saved, but it did show under recent activities, did not show in your profile, and is not reflected in your statistics. Good thing you found the article.

I would post in the MSDN and TechNet Profile and Recognition System Discussions forum. They deal with issues related to profiles. I don't know who to contact. To be honest, I don't know if they can fix the statistics, if the metadata they rely on doesn't exist.

Edit: The images in your article look good.

Tuesday, March 17, 2015 1:40 AM
  • Hi

There is one tiny problem using tags. If you want to choose a generic class name as one of the tags for your article, your article will not be saved. You are not given even any error message, so that you can correct it. I think the reason is that the server app assumes detecting an XSS attack because of the < > characters in the generic class name.

By the way, I cannot see the comments of articles. Could you check this out whether it is working correctly?

Thanks

Mansoor

Tuesday, March 17, 2015 3:19 AM
  • Great Richard - thanks! I will be interested to hear what they say regarding my issue. It might be as you say that they cannot do anything. And thanks for the compliment on the images.

Now that I know what to do I will follow your advice and add text first, save it and then add my images.

Tuesday, March 17, 2015 12:33 PM
  • Mansoor,

Thanks for the tip. I will watch for that in future.

As for the "comments" comment - I do not understand what you mean. Was this meant for me or Richard?

Tuesday, March 17, 2015 12:36 PM
  • There two types of comments. At the bottom of an article you can post a comment, which will appear with the article (after a few seconds). Or you can edit an article and add a comment with the edit. To view the later comments, click the History tab, where any edit comments are at the bottom.

Tuesday, March 17, 2015 12:49 PM