none
Extending the Project Server OlapTimesheet Excel Report RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have Project Server; navigating to "Server Settings" then "OLAP Database Management" shows me my default Cube. I have selected "Configuration" and added a custom field Dimension and successfully re-processed the OLAP database.

Within the Project BI Center I have a number of OOTB Excel files, each configured to use the default PS cubes. When opening"OlapTimesheet" I expected to see the new Dimension (added above) within my Pivot table - however this is not the case. Also, when opening the modified Cube with SQL Data Tools I cannot see the new dimension.

How do I access the Dimension added from the PS interface in the relevant OOTB Excel file?

Thanks

Wednesday, June 18, 2014 3:02 PM

Answers

• Then it makes sense. The timesheet cube contains only assignment level data, so you'll not find project level custom fields.

You can use the reporting DB, or create a report mixing both timesheet and project timesheet data.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MCP, MCTS |

• Marked as answer by _c Thursday, June 19, 2014 12:53 PM
    Thursday, June 19, 2014 12:31 PM

All replies

• "Relevant" is the key word here. The field you are adding should be applicable to the cube you want it to appear in. 

For example, a task field will only appear in a timesheet field, if it is rolled down to assignments. 

Please give us more details on the field you are trying to add, and we could may be hellp spot the issue.

Prasanna Adavi,PMP,MCTS,MCITP,MCT TWitter: @prasannaadavi Blog: http://www.prasannaadavi.com

Wednesday, June 18, 2014 5:21 PM
  • Hi Prasanna - It's a custom field added against the Project Cube.

Within Project Server it says:

"The selected custom fields will be added to both timephased and non-timephased cubes, when applicable. "

This is true - the selected fields get added to both timephased and non-timephased cubes, however, I need to add a field to the "Timesheet" cube.

• Edited by _c Thursday, June 19, 2014 9:55 AM typo
    Thursday, June 19, 2014 8:52 AM
  • Hi _c,

Again as Prasanna said, it is mentionned in your quote "when applicable". Then you have to tell us more about your custom field : what type, what entity...?

Hope this helps,

Thursday, June 19, 2014 12:05 PM
  • Hi Guillaume,

We have a custom field. Entity is Project, Type is Text. It is uses a Lookup Table.

I can add this field to other Cubes via the PS interface, but updating the Timesheet Cube seems impossible?

I have had to create a copy of the OlapTimesheet file and point it to the MSP_Project_Timesheet Cube which can display this field but this isn't ideal.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Thursday, June 19, 2014 12:23 PM
  • Then it makes sense. The timesheet cube contains only assignment level data, so you'll not find project level custom fields.

You can use the reporting DB, or create a report mixing both timesheet and project timesheet data.

Hope this helps,

• Marked as answer by _c Thursday, June 19, 2014 12:53 PM
    Thursday, June 19, 2014 12:31 PM
  • Thanks. 

So it isn't possible to add a Project level custom field to the Timesheet Cube? And to get a mixture of all data I should create a SP and write an SSRS report?

Also - Looking at the Timesheet Cube in SQL Data Tools there is a Dimension called Timesheet Project List but I can't see a way to add custom fields here.

Thursday, June 19, 2014 12:36 PM
  • Indeed creating an SSRS report will give you all the flexibitlity you need that might now be possible through the OLAP cubes limitations.

The project list is one of the dimension available in the timesheet cube (and in all cubes) but anyway this cube will not allow you adding project level custom fields.

Hope this helps,

Thursday, June 19, 2014 12:41 PM
  • Thanks Guillaume
    Thursday, June 19, 2014 12:53 PM