none
Project Online Reporting Refresh in Excel using OData feed RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

My question is regarding the implementation of an excel report with an OData feed in Project Online for Office 365.  Basically, I am bringing in 4 tables (Assignment, AssignmentBaselines, Project, Task), identifying relationships between the tables in Powerpivot, getting the columns I need into the Assignment table using the RELATED function of Powerpivot and also inserting some calculated columns.  Once this is done, I throw the Assignment table out to a pivot table in the excel worksheet and this functions as my report.

Problem is that any data refresh function is EXTREMELY slow....it is taking anywhere from 2-4minutes to refresh the data and at the moment, my environment only consists of about 1200 records in each of Assignment, AssignmentBaseline tables, about 16 Projects and 370 tasks.  I shudder to think how long this will take in a (more typical) environment with much larger data sets.

Based on my method of implementation, is there anything I can do differently to improve performance of the refresh?  I have a user base that will run these reports frequently and 2-4minutes for a simple refresh just will not work for this purpose.

Or does the OData feed function for POL simply need to be improved upon?  Is the current best practice to implement reporting in POL to replicate out the data into a SQL server then report off that?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

J

Wednesday, July 9, 2014 4:32 PM