Implementing safe search in an enterprise RRS feed

• Question

• We are being asked to implement Safe Search in Outlook.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2252421/how-to-deploy-junk-email-settings-such-as-the-safe-senders-list-by-usi

I understand that it requires a GPO and a file with addresses that are white listed basically.

My question is... how is this managed in an enterprise environment typically?

Anyone else implement this successfully? What does your configuration look like?

Do you have the file on the network and each client looks to the network to validate that the sender is or is not on the list?

Is the list locally on the box? If so how do you update the list? How does that work in your Citrix environment if you have one?

We use PVS so that may complicate the citrix question if the file is to be stored locally.

Thank you in advance!

Thank you

Tuesday, October 1, 2019 6:17 PM

All replies

• The SafeSenderList.txt can be saved on a network folder and give everyone the “Read/Write” or "Read" permission. I’m able to test this here. Please check the steps below:

1. Open Group Policy Management.

2. Right click Default Domain Policy.

3. Expand User Configuration > Policies > Administrative Templates > Microsoft Outlook 2016 > Outlook Options > Preference > Junk Email.

4. Specify the path for SafeSenderList.txt

5. To deploy the JunkMailImportLists registry:

Right click Registry and choose New Item.

6. Run gpupdate /force to update group policy

7. On User’s computer, I’ll notice the registry has been added successfully. So I restart Outlook client and Safe Sender List is added successfully.

To update the Safe Sender List, I modify the SafeSenderList.txt and then run gpdate/force on DC again to update the policy.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Perry-Pan Wednesday, October 2, 2019 4:19 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Burak VAROL Wednesday, October 2, 2019 8:55 AM
    Wednesday, October 2, 2019 3:20 AM
  • Hi JBerwald,

I'm writing to see if the information above is helpful to you. If you have further concern, please feel free to post back.

If the information above was helpful, could you please help mark it as answer so it will be easy for other forum members who might have similar issues to find the useful one?

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Monday, October 7, 2019 5:35 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Perry-Pan Monday, October 7, 2019 5:35 AM
    Friday, October 4, 2019 6:44 AM
  • Hi JBerwald,

I’ll write a brief summary here for your information:

[Request:]

====================

Deploy safe list to all users in enterprise

[Suggestion:]

We can use GPO to deploy safe list. The SafeSenderList.txt can be saved on a network folder and give everyone the “Read/Write” or "Read" permission. 

• Edited by Perry-Pan Saturday, November 9, 2019 1:22 AM
    Tuesday, October 8, 2019 6:31 AM