none
Export project from Project Server 2010 to Project Sever 2013 (Same EPT) RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Is it possible to "export" the projects from Project Server 2010 to Project Sever 2013 (without any upgrade or migration for the 2010). The project will have the same EPT.

Thanks.

Tuesday, September 2, 2014 8:07 AM

Answers

• In case if its just the project then you can save the project as an local mpp file and then save it to the server in Project Server 2013. 

Cheers! Happy troubleshooting !!! Dinesh S. Rai - MSFT Enterprise Project Management Please click Mark As Answer; if a post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful if a post has been useful to you. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Marked as answer by new_page Sunday, September 7, 2014 5:02 AM
    Tuesday, September 2, 2014 1:34 PM
  • new_page --

If your organization is not using any custom enterprise Project or Task fields in your Project Server 2010 system, then you can use the method suggested by Dinesh.  You would need to save each 2010 project as an MPP file, then open the project using Microsoft Project 2013, click File > Save As, and then save it in Project Server 2013.

If you ARE using custom enterprise Project and Task fields, you will not be able to use this method because the GUIDs will not match between Project Server 2010 and 2013.  I know this because I was in charge of exploring this method of migrating from Project Server 2010 to 2013 at my company, and the process required to move the custom enterprise field data is NOT simple in the least.  Because of this, if you are using custom enterprise Project and Task fields, I would recommend you use the migration method documented by Microsoft to migrate your Project Server 2010 databases to Project Server 2013.

Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

• Marked as answer by epmXpertsModerator Thursday, September 4, 2014 1:59 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by new_page Sunday, September 7, 2014 5:02 AM
    Tuesday, September 2, 2014 3:39 PM

All replies

• In case if its just the project then you can save the project as an local mpp file and then save it to the server in Project Server 2013. 

Cheers! Happy troubleshooting !!! Dinesh S. Rai - MSFT Enterprise Project Management Please click Mark As Answer; if a post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful if a post has been useful to you. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, September 2, 2014 1:34 PM
  • new_page --

If your organization is not using any custom enterprise Project or Task fields in your Project Server 2010 system, then you can use the method suggested by Dinesh.  You would need to save each 2010 project as an MPP file, then open the project using Microsoft Project 2013, click File > Save As, and then save it in Project Server 2013.

If you ARE using custom enterprise Project and Task fields, you will not be able to use this method because the GUIDs will not match between Project Server 2010 and 2013.  I know this because I was in charge of exploring this method of migrating from Project Server 2010 to 2013 at my company, and the process required to move the custom enterprise field data is NOT simple in the least.  Because of this, if you are using custom enterprise Project and Task fields, I would recommend you use the migration method documented by Microsoft to migrate your Project Server 2010 databases to Project Server 2013.

Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

• Marked as answer by epmXpertsModerator Thursday, September 4, 2014 1:59 PM
    Tuesday, September 2, 2014 3:39 PM
  • Thanks a lot for your reply.

Do think that using the evaluation edition of MS Project  will be enough?

Wednesday, September 3, 2014 5:51 AM
  • Thanks indeed for sharing your experience in this matter with me.

Yes I have custom type built for our department. I think what we can do is creating our projects again in PS2013!

Thanks again.

Wednesday, September 3, 2014 5:54 AM
  • new_page --

You are more than welcome for the help, my friend.  :)

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Wednesday, September 3, 2014 1:18 PM
  • thanks indeed :)
    Thursday, September 4, 2014 6:21 AM
  • new_page --

If my response answers your question, would you please mark it as the answer in this thread.  Thanks for your help, my friend!  :)

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Thursday, September 4, 2014 10:30 AM
  • done :)
    Sunday, September 7, 2014 5:02 AM