Migrating clients in sccm 2012 RRS feed

• Question

• I excerpted a paragraph below, from a MS Migration Planning document for sccm 2012.  I'm confused regarding "client migration".  See bold content.  I didn't think you needed to migrate clients.  If the "Discovery Methods" bring AD groups, Client machines and users across, what 'client migration' is being addressed here?  I just built a 2012 environment with the plan to Migrate from 2007.  The discovery methods have done their job, so now I need to migrate Collections, etc ....  If I read the following correctly, I need to migrate clients AFTER my collections, advertisements and content.  However, clients are already present in my 2012 environment as a result of the discovery process that run.  Please clarify this confusion for me...

Dino

"Before you migrate clients between hierarchies, ensure that the objects that clients use have migrated and that these objects are available in the destination hierarchy. For example, when you migrate from a Configuration Manager 2007 SP2 source hierarchy, you might have an advertisement for content that is deployed to a custom collection that contains a client. In this scenario you should migrate the collection, the advertisement, and the associated content before you migrate the client. This is because, when the content, collection and advertisement are not migrated before the client migrates, this data cannot be associated with the client in the destination hierarchy. If a client is not associated with the data related to a previously run advertisement and content, the client can be offered the content for installation in the destination hierarchy, which might be unnecessary. When the client migrates after the data has migrated, the client is associated with this content and advertisement, and unless the advertisement is recurring, is not offered this content for the migrated advertisement again. "

Thanks, Dino

Tuesday, July 16, 2013 4:03 PM

Answers

• However, clients are already present in my 2012 environment as a result of the discovery process that run. 

There are no clients (client = yes) present in your CM12 hierarchy if you just ran AD discovery. You will only see resources that were discovered (client = no). Those resources have no CM12 client installed and are not yet reporting to your CM12 site.
    Client migration = installing the CM12 client on existing CM07 clients (which will upgrade the client and re-asssign them to the new site)

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

• Marked as answer by ingram59 Tuesday, July 16, 2013 5:55 PM
    Tuesday, July 16, 2013 4:16 PM

All replies

• However, clients are already present in my 2012 environment as a result of the discovery process that run. 

There are no clients (client = yes) present in your CM12 hierarchy if you just ran AD discovery. You will only see resources that were discovered (client = no). Those resources have no CM12 client installed and are not yet reporting to your CM12 site.
    Client migration = installing the CM12 client on existing CM07 clients (which will upgrade the client and re-asssign them to the new site)

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

• Marked as answer by ingram59 Tuesday, July 16, 2013 5:55 PM
    Tuesday, July 16, 2013 4:16 PM
  • Torsten,

I don't think you could have made it any clearer.  Very helpful.  It's a question of definition of terms.  Thank you so much.

Dino

Thanks, Dino

Tuesday, July 16, 2013 5:55 PM
  • Yes, semantics are very important and as Torsten pointed out there is a difference between a resource and a client.

Sometimes we get accused of being jerks for harping on semantics (I know my wife hates it), but they are important for a reason particularly in technology where the semantics are relevant, the difference are tangible, and ambiguity leads to bad things.

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com

Tuesday, July 16, 2013 7:14 PM