none
Physical to virtual conversion on domain contoller

Question

• Whether it is recomended to do P to v conversion for domain contoller.

Scenario : i have FSMO role in diffrent server i need to migrate one physical server to VM.  after conversion what precaution i need to take. 

Tuesday, November 22, 2016 7:13 AM

All replies

• Hi

You should check this related article about P2V with Domain Controllers;

How to Virtualize Active Directory Domain Controllers

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/askds/2010/06/10/how-to-virtualize-active-directory-domain-controllers-part-1/

but my opinion you should add new virtual server as addtional domain controller(with different ip and hostname),then demote the physical DC and if you need to set same ip and hostname,you can change ip and hostname on virtual dc as the old physical dc

Note:You can convert Domain Controllers with P2V.

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees,and confers no rights. Best regards Burak Uğur

Tuesday, November 22, 2016 7:24 AM
  • Hi,
    Please refer to the following article which discusses the things to consider when a domain controller runs in a virtual hosting environment:
    Things to consider when you host Active Directory domain controllers in virtual hosting environments
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-sg/kb/888794
    Best regards,
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, November 23, 2016 7:30 AM
  • Hi,

I am checking how the issue going, if you still have any questions, please feel free to contact us.

And if the replies as above are helpful, we would appreciate you to mark them as answers, and if you resolve it using your own solution, please share your experience and solution here. It will be greatly helpful to others who have the same question.

Appreciate for your feedback.

Best regards,

Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, November 29, 2016 4:51 AM