How to integrate Oracle Agile PLM with SharePoint using BDC? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

The customer has requested to integrate the Sharepoint with its PLM ( Product Lifecycle management) product - Oracle Agile. The customer is looking to fetch documents and its metadata from Oracle Agile into Sharepoint Search.

Can you please let me know what is the best approach to provide the solution? I am very sure that we would need BDC but would need expert advice on the problem. I would appreciate if you can provide the solution from your experience.

Thanks in advance
    • Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Wednesday, February 24, 2010 7:41 AM using BDC added
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 7:26 AM

Answers

• Hi,

There are two solution  approaches i would suggest,

1. Oracle Agile Web services.

OOTB Oracle Agile web services provide all the metadata as stated in our post Document ID, Attachment, modified date, author etc.

You can then consume these web services ( may require wrapper web service) using BDC by writing an ADF file using BDC definition editor and Metaman.

You can then add the same as content source and start the crawl.

2. In case you have extensive search requirement or any complex requirement, you may have to resort to a custom utility that extracts the content from Agile into a temp DB that you can again add as source for BDC.

Hope it helps.

Cheers, Sanjiv Kumar Sanjiv Blog | LinkedIn
    • Marked as answer by Sashayz Thursday, February 25, 2010 8:41 AM
    Thursday, February 25, 2010 7:23 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Can you please elaborate which fields you want to fetch data from Oracle system and please let me know if all the people who want to search oracle data into sharepoint data have appropriate Oracle licenses? Have you explored Oracle web services?

Cheers, Sanjiv Kumar
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 11:22 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for the prompt response. I am looking to fetch the document metadata particularly Document ID and Attachment.

Licensing is not a problem and customer is ready to share licenses with all Sharepoint users. 

I have gone through the documentation but as I am not the Oracle guy I wasn't sure that web services are the correct way to go about it and if there wont be any licensing implications.

Thanks
    Thursday, February 25, 2010 6:52 AM
  • Hi,

There are two solution  approaches i would suggest,

1. Oracle Agile Web services.

OOTB Oracle Agile web services provide all the metadata as stated in our post Document ID, Attachment, modified date, author etc.

You can then consume these web services ( may require wrapper web service) using BDC by writing an ADF file using BDC definition editor and Metaman.

You can then add the same as content source and start the crawl.

2. In case you have extensive search requirement or any complex requirement, you may have to resort to a custom utility that extracts the content from Agile into a temp DB that you can again add as source for BDC.

Hope it helps.

Cheers, Sanjiv Kumar Sanjiv Blog | LinkedIn
    • Marked as answer by Sashayz Thursday, February 25, 2010 8:41 AM
    Thursday, February 25, 2010 7:23 AM
  • Although the solution is for a different PLM system, you might find this Codeplex open source project relevant.  My company, Razorleaf, helped develop a solution connecting Aras Innovator (PLM platform) with Actify SpinFire (3D viewing system) with SharePoint 2010 using BDC.  The source code for the SharePoint side of things might be useful to you in trying to connect to Agile, and it sounds like others on this forum have highlighted the relevant parts of Agile needed to make the connection.

On the topic of connecting SharePoint and PLM, I think it is important to note how very different the two systems are (even though a lot of people believe they serve almost the same purpose - revision management of data).  We've spent a lot of time thinking about how these systems best complement each other, and you can see our perspective on our SharePoint PLM page.

Jonathan Scott

Razorleaf Corporation

330-676-0022 x7133

• Proposed as answer by JonathanPScott Tuesday, September 28, 2010 10:54 AM
    Tuesday, September 28, 2010 10:54 AM