How to manually remove Windows Update KB976902 RRS feed

• Question

• I've been experiencing with Windows Update KB976902 causing printer spooler errors and repeated blue screen system crashes on multiple hard drives for this one system.  The printer spooler errors first occurred back in 2010 right after an automatic download and install of Windows Update KB976902.  I personally have done extensive online research over the years to source a permanent resolution to this problem and the final conclusion is to permanently delete/ remove/ uninstall Windows Update KB976902.  Problem is, once this update is installed, it cannot be removed.  Now I have made many aggressive attempts to remove this update like executing command prompt "wusa.exe /uninstall /kb:976902" will not uninstall the update.  A system restore to an earlier point will not remove the update.  Complete deletion and fresh reinstall of the Windows OS will not remove this update either.  I even attempted to tinker around in regedit to find and remove, as you expect, my knowledge of navigating around in the OS registry is extremely limited thus I'm incapable of removing the update using this method.  I made several exhausting attempts to locate the file destination via command prompt and really couldn't figure that out.  Cannot locate the folder/ file location of this update anywhere on the OS other than the Programs and Features location.  View Installed Updates does not provide any option for uninstall.

I recently did and complete wipe and reinstall of the Windows 7 OS and selected "ask later" for allowing Windows Updates and have not connected to the internet, at all.  Wiping of the OS included performance a full erase of the entire OS and removal from the HDD.  The OS install is completely fresh from the OEM installation disc that came with the laptop of it's initial purchase.  About as clean of an OS install as you can get and guess what, Windows Update KB976902 is the only software showing as installed on the OS.  I've done this on more than one hard drive on the same laptop with the same undesired result.

All of my attempts to permanently remove this problematic/ troublesome windows update have proven futile.  This update really needs to be completely removed as it is the root cause of my ever existing printer spooler errors.  Any fixes of the printer spooler are temporary band aids at best, none are permanent solutions other than the complete removal of this Windows Update.  This update is also causing frequent regular blue screen system crashes. 

Dell Studio 1747 17" laptop i7 1.73GHz Intel QuadCore (8 Cores) Windows 7 OS 8GB RAM 750 Hybrid Solid State HDD BIOS Version: A14 Phoenix SecureCore.

I've previously read documentation from other another online forum post (no longer able to find that particular post) that state this particular issue could be a result of an internal conflict with the BIOS, something about the drivers for the BIOS may be corrupt or in conflict with this particular update.  Not really sure since I have no way of knowing how to troubleshooting the BIOS.

Before anyone answers, "this update is necessary in order for Windows to operate", this is the furthest thing from the truth.  My laptop was running SUPERB without any issues/ problems before this update was automatically installed.  The moment it got installed, been running like cramp every since.  So I refuse to believe any propaganda about this update being necessary for the Windows OS to operate.

If anyone and I mean who has already figured out a way to remove this pesty update, by all means please chime right in.

Friday, July 24, 2015 5:15 PM

Answers

• Hi,

According to the KB below information, there is no way to uninstall this update. Because it's a hotfix used to fix system problem, this hotfix would replace plenty of system file with new edition. 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2533552

For your problem, we can try to fix printer problem by upgrade its driver edition, etc.

For BSOD problem, it would be better to collect minidump file, we'll make further research with this problem by using dump file.

please refer to the contents of the link below for more details and provide the dump files to us.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_other-system/blue-screen-of-death-bsod/1939df35-283f-4830-a4dd-e95ee5d8669d

On the other hand, it's hard to say it's KB976902 problem. You can try to perform a Clean Boot to check whether this problem caused by 3rd program or service start with system. Refer to the link below for more details.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, July 27, 2015 8:37 AM

All replies

• Hi,

According to the KB below information, there is no way to uninstall this update. Because it's a hotfix used to fix system problem, this hotfix would replace plenty of system file with new edition. 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2533552

For your problem, we can try to fix printer problem by upgrade its driver edition, etc.

For BSOD problem, it would be better to collect minidump file, we'll make further research with this problem by using dump file.

please refer to the contents of the link below for more details and provide the dump files to us.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_other-system/blue-screen-of-death-bsod/1939df35-283f-4830-a4dd-e95ee5d8669d

On the other hand, it's hard to say it's KB976902 problem. You can try to perform a Clean Boot to check whether this problem caused by 3rd program or service start with system. Refer to the link below for more details.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, July 27, 2015 8:37 AM
  • A program called Take ownership you can download to delete the files. Find the files with windows search, see more results, search again in my computer. Then you may need to install WindowsUpdateAgent-7 and/ or Windows6.1-KB3102810 to make smooth updates. un-install Take ownership when your not using it.
    Wednesday, August 3, 2016 5:40 PM
  • Hi 

In order to delete this update in windows 7 kb976902 just go in C:\Windows\servicing\Packages and search for KB976902.mum and there would be three files and in all file replace permanence = "permanent" to permanence = "removable" and save all. Then update can be uninstall easily.

Monday, August 24, 2020 12:07 AM