none
DPM Showing 0% unallocated space while Disk Manager Shows 2TB Free Space RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I have a situation I cannot explain. 

DPM  has a total of 8166.08 GB  allocated to the server, both DPM and Disk manager report this size correctly, I have also confirmed from the HP smart array that the size is correct.

When I look at DPM in terms of space used by protection groups space used is 5407.74 GB which leaves 2758.34 GB unaccounted for. 

DPM reports that it only has 19.4 GB of free space whereas Disk Manager  reports 2752.35 GB  which is the more correct situation. 

I cannot see any errors.

DPM Space Report 

Disk manager

Any Ideas would be welcome.

Thanks

Tuesday, August 25, 2015 3:58 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Most likely disk3 is an MBR disk which has a limit of 2TB usable space.  In order to use more than 2TB, the disk would need to be a GPT disk.

To very this, please open an administrative command prompt, then run diskpart.exe
     Once in the diskpart console type: list disk

Copy, paste the results into notepad.

Now open a DPM Powershell windows, and type:
    get-dpmdisk <dpmsever_name>

Again copy, paste the results into notepad.

Post the results from both commands for me to review.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by Benard Davis Wednesday, September 2, 2015 6:42 AM
    Friday, August 28, 2015 12:13 AM

All replies

• Version Details:

DPM 2012 R2, Version 4.2.1312.0

Tuesday, August 25, 2015 4:01 PM
  • Hi,

Most likely disk3 is an MBR disk which has a limit of 2TB usable space.  In order to use more than 2TB, the disk would need to be a GPT disk.

To very this, please open an administrative command prompt, then run diskpart.exe
     Once in the diskpart console type: list disk

Copy, paste the results into notepad.

Now open a DPM Powershell windows, and type:
    get-dpmdisk <dpmsever_name>

Again copy, paste the results into notepad.

Post the results from both commands for me to review.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by Benard Davis Wednesday, September 2, 2015 6:42 AM
    Friday, August 28, 2015 12:13 AM
  • DISKPART> list disk

Disk ###  Status         Size     Free     Dyn  Gpt
      --------  -------------  -------  -------  ---  ---
      Disk 0    Online           60 GB  1024 KB
      Disk 1    Online         1792 GB  2336 MB   *
      Disk 2    Online         2350 GB  3026 MB   *
      Disk 3    Online         4023 GB    25 MB   *

PS C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center 2012\DPM\DPM\bin> get-dpmdisk bt-dpm
    WARNING: Connecting to DPM server: bt-dpm01

Name          DiskStatus        NtDiskId TotalCapacit UnallocatedS DiskTypeLabe
                                                   yLabel    paceLabel l
    ----          ----------        -------- ------------ ------------ ------------
    HP LOGICAL... Healthy                  1      1792 GB         2 GB Dynamic
    HP LOGICAL... Healthy                  2      2350 GB         2 GB Dynamic
    HP LOGICAL... Healthy                  3      4023 GB         0 GB Dynamic
    Monday, August 31, 2015 9:13 AM
  • Hi,

This confirms that none of the disks are GPT disks so Windows has a 2TB limit that can be addressed. Unfortunately a disk cannot be converted to GPT unless it is all free space.  See if your controller will allow you to remove the waisted space so you can make a new disk and add it to the storage pool.

Wednesday, September 2, 2015 5:08 AM