ALT+TAB Half Broken RRS feed

• Question

• I recently noticed that the ALT+TAB switcher is broken when I use the left ALT button.  Hitting the key combination will bring up the switcher and I can TAB between the open applications, but it will not actually switch when I release the keys.  Using the mouse to click on an application works fine.

My WIN+TAB Flip 3D works fine and the Right ALT+TAB, works as expected.

I have seen suggestions to try switching to the Windows Classic theme and switch back to Aero to fix this, but it did not work for me.

Has anyone else seen this issue?  I am completely frustrated by my inability to switch with my left hand...I know I can try to use Flip 3D, but it's a little slower than the old ALT+TAB.

Vista x64 SP1
    Microsoft Wireless Multimedia Keyboard (IntelliType Pro 6.3)

Thanks in advance.
    Monday, September 22, 2008 7:38 PM

Answers

• It turns out that my problem may be hardware related.

I replaced my Wireless Microsoft Keyboard with an old wired one I had, and it has resolved my issue.  The weird thing is that when I booted my dual boot machine into Ubuntu Linux, ALT-TAB was working fine.

I'll replace my Microsoft Keyboard and see what happens.

Thank you
    Sunday, September 28, 2008 7:47 PM

All replies

• Hi

Strange?

From your description it sounds like the software and that component is working OK.

You might want to make sure there are no debris around or under that left ALT key.

I have always been under the impression that both ALT keys are treated as the same keystroke, regardless of which one is pressed.

You might also check the batteries in the keyboard.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer or Helpful button at the top of this message.
    By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience

Tuesday, September 23, 2008 4:31 AM
  • I'm pretty certain that both the ALT and TAB buttons are working as the UI comes up and I am able to tab between the different running applications.  In addition, the alt and tab keys work fine an other applications.

I have replaced the batteries on the keyboard, and I did update to the latest version of Intellitype.
    Friday, September 26, 2008 7:02 PM
  • It turns out that my problem may be hardware related.

I replaced my Wireless Microsoft Keyboard with an old wired one I had, and it has resolved my issue.  The weird thing is that when I booted my dual boot machine into Ubuntu Linux, ALT-TAB was working fine.

I'll replace my Microsoft Keyboard and see what happens.

Thank you
    Sunday, September 28, 2008 7:47 PM