Lync 2010 Enterprise Voice Recommendation RRS feed

• Question

• We have gone through an exercise to of implementing Enterprise Voice as part of a live test with a Siemens HiPath 4000 (SIP Trunk). We have it all running and I am busy fiddling around with the various options surrounding Enterprise Voice - but there are some things I would like to throw out there for the more experienced folks to maybe comment on please.

• Dial Plans I have setup is just for the most basic of numbers - when do I stop accommodating every possible number normalization for the end users. I have setup for starters a internal (normalize a 4 digit extension), external (adds +26461, +Countrycode Areacode in my case), and mobile (normalizes to E.164). International code I have to put in place but normalizing to E.164 I would assume creating a normalization rule catching everything starting with two zeros, dropping those starting two zeros then adding a plus (which is the same as 00?). I have noticed that the two options to specify if the number is internal and what digit to dial does not make much of a difference.
    • Our HiPath 4000 does not like E.164 format at all and treats the SIP trunk as any other telephony device. So in other words I have to dial a 0 to get outside line and then the number. So I ended up creating translation rules to take the E.164 numbers and strip the bits off that is not needed and add a 0 for outside numbers. Is there no other elegant way as I see this can get complex very quickly. What happens for instance with different international dialling codes - I first convert it via rule normalization then again with translation rules? Would I be better off to have different PSTN Usage and the have routes and then deal with them via translation rules under Trunk Configurations?
    • How can I determine what the limits are with SIP trunking and HiPath 4000 (as it is not listed on the Microsoft Lync compatibility section) in terms of media bypass, centralized media processing, enable refer support, etc as the Siemens Engineer does not seem to be able answear all of these questions or I am asking the wrong way)?
    • During my initial setup and troubleshooting I used Wireshark to see how the HiPath 4000 normalizes the numbers given by the Lync through the SIP Trunk and noticed there is a lot of dropped or checksum packages - I have already disabled checksum offloading on the Lync server's network card but still get a lot of errors - is this normal?
    • I would assume the monitoring server role is going o be vital to assess call quality - is there any other tools to make an assessment on bandwidth usage, call quality, etc or is the monitoring server going to provide me with all this information?

At one point I was thinking of just adding blanket rules to keep it working but a) this installation will get audited and b) knowing with putting in generic rules it will later on become an administrative nightmare when more branches and devices jump onboard.

• Edited by Naraka Wednesday, April 4, 2012 7:48 PM
    Wednesday, April 4, 2012 7:39 PM

Answers

• Hello Naraka,

Dial Plans are used for normalizing number based on the dialing habbit of users. Users in different location will have different dialing habits. You would have done the same if you had a pbx and configured the numbers to be normalized to a  particular format. You control what numbers a user can dial or you can say connect to based on voice policies. If the users have different dialing habbits, you will have to keep adding normalization rules. Internal extensions are used for optimized device dialing, you can refer to http://blogs.technet.com/b/jenstr/archive/2009/11/18/what-is-internal-enterprise-extension.aspx for more details.

I dont see HiPath4000 as a supported direct sip gateway in the OIP  list http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/lync/gg131938 for Lync so i understand why it does not like E.164 format. Trunk translation rules are the only way you can manipulate the outgoing calls. PSTN usages are for providing class of service like local, long distance, international calls that is how you restrict which number a user can dial or not. Routes are associated with pstn usage which is assocaite with voice policy. Once the voice policy allows the number, then the trunk translation rule will act on the outgoing number(called number). If you have a supported gateway then you could have passed the number as it is and manipulated the numbers on the gateway.

Again HiPath4000 as a supported direct sip gateway in the OIP  list http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/lync/gg131938 for Lync so the  of media bypass, centralized media processing, enable refer support will not work. The other option is to introduce a supported gateway between hipath and Lync that way all these features will work with Lync and supported gateway and supported gateway will talk sip to Hipath

If you are seeing checksum errors and drops that need to be investigated on both ends, gateway and Lync. May be upgrade network card drivers, make sure the NIC card speed and the switch port they are connected too have the correct speed set or set to auto negotiate

Monitoring server is the only tool that will provide you the information you need.

• Marked as answer by Noya Lau Friday, April 20, 2012 9:40 AM
    Friday, April 6, 2012 8:08 AM

All replies

• Hello Naraka,

Dial Plans are used for normalizing number based on the dialing habbit of users. Users in different location will have different dialing habits. You would have done the same if you had a pbx and configured the numbers to be normalized to a  particular format. You control what numbers a user can dial or you can say connect to based on voice policies. If the users have different dialing habbits, you will have to keep adding normalization rules. Internal extensions are used for optimized device dialing, you can refer to http://blogs.technet.com/b/jenstr/archive/2009/11/18/what-is-internal-enterprise-extension.aspx for more details.

I dont see HiPath4000 as a supported direct sip gateway in the OIP  list http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/lync/gg131938 for Lync so i understand why it does not like E.164 format. Trunk translation rules are the only way you can manipulate the outgoing calls. PSTN usages are for providing class of service like local, long distance, international calls that is how you restrict which number a user can dial or not. Routes are associated with pstn usage which is assocaite with voice policy. Once the voice policy allows the number, then the trunk translation rule will act on the outgoing number(called number). If you have a supported gateway then you could have passed the number as it is and manipulated the numbers on the gateway.

Again HiPath4000 as a supported direct sip gateway in the OIP  list http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/lync/gg131938 for Lync so the  of media bypass, centralized media processing, enable refer support will not work. The other option is to introduce a supported gateway between hipath and Lync that way all these features will work with Lync and supported gateway and supported gateway will talk sip to Hipath

If you are seeing checksum errors and drops that need to be investigated on both ends, gateway and Lync. May be upgrade network card drivers, make sure the NIC card speed and the switch port they are connected too have the correct speed set or set to auto negotiate

Monitoring server is the only tool that will provide you the information you need.

• Marked as answer by Noya Lau Friday, April 20, 2012 9:40 AM
    Friday, April 6, 2012 8:08 AM
  • Hi Naraka

I have a HiPath 4000 V6 with a SIP trunk, but cannot make calls from Lync through the PABX - Wireshark reports a "404 Not Found" message

also integrated Exchange 2010 UM into the solution, but the PABX only sends through the "called party" number, and UM assumes that the called party wants to retrieve voicemail/email/etc.

You appear to have progressed further by getting Lync to make and receive calls.

Can you share your HiPath 4000 SIP configuration?

Thanks,

Samuel

Thursday, September 13, 2012 5:58 PM
  • Hi - sorry for the late reply. We busy getting rid of the direct SIP connection and getting a gateway. I cannot get to the PBX configuration as the PBX Engineer is guarding this like a state secret.

My recommendation is to get a qualified gateway and spec it accordingly. In the long run it gives you the best Lync experience and saves you a lot of hassles.

Might not be the answer you looking - sorry. :(

Thursday, November 1, 2012 5:53 PM