Expanding volume on basic disk on Hyper-V replicated cluster RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I expanded a disk for a VM in Hyper-V. Now I need to expand the volume but it has no contiguous space and it's a basic disk. Windows suggests to convert it to a dynamic disk but I heard that it might not be such a good idea to convert it to a dynamic disk. 

Is it true that there is a risk in converting it to dynamic? And if so, how can I proceed? The volume needs urgent expanding.

Thanks for your help!

Thursday, September 27, 2018 10:03 AM

All replies

• Converting a basic disk to a dynamic disk will allow you to create software RAID volumes.  It does not allow you to extend a volume into non-contiguous space.

What you can do is move the expanded virtual disk ("I expanded a disk for a VM") to a different disk that has enough space to handle the expanded VHD and change the settings of the VM to point to the new location.

tim

• Proposed as answer by markkinsey Saturday, October 6, 2018 12:56 PM
    Thursday, September 27, 2018 1:54 PM
  • Hi Tim, thank you. That's already helpful. One thing I wasn't too clear about: I need to extendthe volume inside the VM after I expanded the VM disk (the VHD file). I have added a screenshot. I need to extend the volume named Data (E:). As you can see the available space is not contiguous.

• Edited by Jozef Woo Thursday, September 27, 2018 3:04 PM
    Thursday, September 27, 2018 2:58 PM
  • Since the space is non-contiguous, you will not be able to expand volume E:.  What you can do is backup the content of volume F:, delete volume F:, expand volume E:, re-create volume F:, and restore the content to volume F:.

tim

• Proposed as answer by Dave PatrickMVP Saturday, September 29, 2018 4:53 PM
    • Marked as answer by Jozef Woo Monday, October 1, 2018 9:28 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Jozef Woo Saturday, October 6, 2018 9:53 AM
    Saturday, September 29, 2018 12:40 PM
  • Thank you for your help! I will proceed as such.
    Monday, October 1, 2018 9:29 AM
  • Hi, I just did a test in my lab and I extended a volume into non-contiguous space by converting the disk to a dynamic disk! So now the only reason why I woldn't do this in a production environment is because it doesn't seem to be recommended to work with a dynamic disk. It's not entirely clear for me why it isn't though.
    Saturday, October 6, 2018 9:55 AM
  • Hi Tim. ive created the same.  dynamically expanded set with a 200GB storage size. Anyway.... initialized. Before I format a question or 2

….he says = ))

Apologise in advance for all the Q;s here but you know your stuff sir!

keeping permanently mounted can I assign this to expand my SSD which is only 32GB

Can I Use this as a folder locations on OS drive C:  e/g "Location of My Docs, Program Files, X86 etc?

Any advance install capability? e,g "Install a game to the VHD

Is it possible to create a ram disk 4gb with its space in a VHD drive? Crazy?

for saves if related to a game or install?

finally :) Is there any software that you would recommend to carry out the above or that allow assigning of 2HDD or a VHD on the 2nd Drive to the 32GB SSD OS (C:\)  or you could recommend?

Thank you Tim. appolos for all the Q's any would be appreciated xD !!"I could spend hours looking this up...days..months!!!" loOl = }.

Thank you sir.

Mark

Saturday, October 6, 2018 12:54 PM
  • //lol. I created a VHD the same size before looking this up today = }

I am not convinced ive done right here/ my steps: 

Created -Dynamically expanding.

Set Size 200GB -

I then see as your screen clip as unallocated

Initialized

converted to GPT

Formatted.

……"theres loads I want to try with VHD feature on windows 10. just unsure some things are viable at all"

..  = /   .. lol

Mark/

Saturday, October 6, 2018 1:05 PM
  • "I extended a volume into non-contiguous space by converting the disk to a dynamic disk!"

Microsoft uses the term 'dynamic' for two different things.  Historically, one could create basic and dynamic physical disks.  Using dynamic physical disks allows you to create mirrors and stripes among dynamic disks.  Since the advent of virtualization, Microsoft has fixed and dynamic expanding virtual hard drives.  From what you have said in your posts, I can't tell if you are talking about dynamic physical disks or dynamically expanding virtual disks.

tim

Sunday, October 7, 2018 12:05 PM