Need to apply new email address to users in organization.... RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Environment:

Exchange 2010sp3,RU8

Scenario:

We, currently, have 22 different email domains that our Exchange accepts email for. Depending on what business unit you are in, dictates what your email address will be. Not anymore! We got a new CEO, and he has mandated that we start using one email domain across the enterprise. Sounds good to me. 

Issue:

Currently, when we set up a new user account, because we don't have separate e-mail address policies for each of our locations, the user will get 22 different email addresses. Nightmare. Also, in doing mailbox moves and other such activities that would re-apply the default recipient policy, we've had to disable "Automatically update e-mail address based on e-mail address policy". Not on all accounts, but a good portion. 

Goal:

The goal is to:

1. re-enable inheritance for all users, except for one particular OU, that's not getting this new email address. 
    2. retain current default smtp address, and make it a proxy
    3. apply new email address, and make it the default smtp address.

Side question:

If we do re-enable the inheritance, and modify the default e-mail address policy to reflect the new email address, will that make the new address the default smtp address for the user. Also, would removing the long list of accepted email domins, remove those addresses from the users account?

I appreciate any response, and will happily answer any questions.

Thanks 

Thursday, March 19, 2015 3:53 PM

Answers

• Get-Mailbox -OrganizationalUnit "OU=TheOU,DC=domain,DC=com" | Set-Mailbox -EmailAddressPolicyEnabled $True
    Run it for each OU you need. You can put it in a script and schedule it to run periodically with Task Scheduler.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."

Sunday, April 12, 2015 6:20 AM

All replies

• By inheritance you mean permissions inheritance?  That should be enabled for Exchange mailbox users in any case.

You should create appropriate e-mail address policies and use those to apply new addresses.  You'll want to make sure that mailboxes have the box checked to use e-mail address policy.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."

Sunday, March 22, 2015 9:32 PM
  • Apologies, for the delay. No, I was speaking about the "Automatically update e-mail addresses based on e-mail address policy", within the "E-Mail Addresses" tab. I need to be able to have that checked for specific OU's. many of them jwere unchecked, for various reasons. Thanks
    Thursday, March 26, 2015 12:25 PM
  • Get-Mailbox -OrganizationalUnit "OU=TheOU,DC=domain,DC=com" | Set-Mailbox -EmailAddressPolicyEnabled $True
    Run it for each OU you need. You can put it in a script and schedule it to run periodically with Task Scheduler.

Sunday, April 12, 2015 6:20 AM