none
Project Server 2019 - Search custom fields RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a SharePoint/Project Server 2019 on-premise farm - Been trying to search on the data inside Project Server Custom Fields using the SharePoint keyword search however the content does not return in the search results. I have the Web Application with PWA included as a Content Source. Keywords that match documents in Project Sites and words on pages return successfully but not Project Server specific content like values in Custom Field or any Project Server metadata. Is there any specific configuration that needs to be done in order to crawl this data in SharePoint? Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

Ai Fong Chan

Monday, January 6, 2020 8:13 AM

Answers

• Hello,

The Project Server data (Projects, Tasks, Resources, custom fields etc.) are not a data source SharePoint Search indexes unfortunately. I think the only way to do it would be to get the Project Server data you want indexed in to a SharePoint list that SharePoint can then index but that is not possible out of the box.

Paul

Paul Mather | Twitter | http://pwmather.wordpress.com | CPS | MVP | Downloads

• Marked as answer by aifong Tuesday, January 7, 2020 9:01 AM
    Monday, January 6, 2020 5:45 PM

All replies

• Hello,

The Project Server data (Projects, Tasks, Resources, custom fields etc.) are not a data source SharePoint Search indexes unfortunately. I think the only way to do it would be to get the Project Server data you want indexed in to a SharePoint list that SharePoint can then index but that is not possible out of the box.

Paul

Paul Mather | Twitter | http://pwmather.wordpress.com | CPS | MVP | Downloads

• Marked as answer by aifong Tuesday, January 7, 2020 9:01 AM
    Monday, January 6, 2020 5:45 PM
  • Hi Paul,

Thanks for confirming this.

I was able to get the Project metadata into the SharePoint Index by using Business Connectivity Services. However because it's configured as a BDC to a database view ([MSP_EpmProject_UserView]), the Project Server permissions will not be respected by the search query since it has no idea of that context. Users can search and view project information using the search even though they aren't authorised to. So it wasn't a feasible solution in the end unfortunately.  

Tuesday, January 7, 2020 9:00 AM