The Management Group ... has no configured parents RRS feed

• Question

• We've just installed a test infrastructure using SP1 and done some manual deployments of agents using Active Directory integration.  They work.  Then I deployed the agent to a new machine and changed the Auto Agent Assignment LDAP query from (sAMAccountType=805306369)(name=test*)) to (sAMAccountType=805306369)(|(name=test*)(name=dev*)) to include the new machine.  Now, I'm getting this event every 15 mins or so:

Event Type: Warning
    Event Source: OpsMgr Connector
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 21034
    Date:  07/03/2008
    Time:  15:07:14
    User:  N/A
    Computer: computer
    Description:
    The Management Group mgmtGroup has no configured parents and most monitoring tasks cannot be performed.  This can happen if a management group in Active Directory does not have any server SCPs or if the agent does not have access to any server SCPs.

I've checked existing machines and they're still fine.  The group membership of the SCP group has changed to include the new server (plus others).  I don't understand what's happening here.  Anyone have any suggestions?

Friday, March 7, 2008 3:25 PM

Answers

• Hi,

As far as I know, SCE SP1 has not been released officially yet. Could you tell us which software are you using now? System Center Essentials or System Center Operations Manager?

For the latter product, here is a workaround that may fix the issue.

If we want to modify the Auto Agent Assignment rules of one management server, we need to check if there are other management servers are configured to use this management server as secondary failover server. If so, we must remove the secondary failover server settings first on other management servers. Then modify this management server’s Auto Agent Assignment rules. When the new PrimarySG and SecondarySG groups are re-created with the new serial number, we can re-configure other management servers to use this management server as secondary failover server.

If you need further help on SCOM, please use the following Microsoft public newsgroups, which would be the best resource for your question.

Operations Manager Newsgroups
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/opsmgr/bb839593.aspx

Thanks.

Monday, March 10, 2008 9:41 AM

All replies

• Hi,

As far as I know, SCE SP1 has not been released officially yet. Could you tell us which software are you using now? System Center Essentials or System Center Operations Manager?

For the latter product, here is a workaround that may fix the issue.

If we want to modify the Auto Agent Assignment rules of one management server, we need to check if there are other management servers are configured to use this management server as secondary failover server. If so, we must remove the secondary failover server settings first on other management servers. Then modify this management server’s Auto Agent Assignment rules. When the new PrimarySG and SecondarySG groups are re-created with the new serial number, we can re-configure other management servers to use this management server as secondary failover server.

If you need further help on SCOM, please use the following Microsoft public newsgroups, which would be the best resource for your question.

Operations Manager Newsgroups
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/opsmgr/bb839593.aspx

Thanks.

Monday, March 10, 2008 9:41 AM
  • I'm using Systems Center Operations Manager.  Thanks for the workaround - I'll give it a go.

And thanks very much for the pointer to the correct groups.  I went to http://forums.microsoft.com and then TechNet Forums but there weren't any listed for Operations Manager.  It would be nice if Microsoft could be consistent about where they list their groups and forums, wouldn't it?

Monday, March 10, 2008 10:58 AM