none
The Execute method of job definition Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPProductVersionJobDefinition threw an exception RRS feed

• Question

• Hey folks,

On Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1, SharePoint/Project Server 2013 with June CU, I'm getting this error only on the server I'm using as a web server (I have two other servers running the service apps and whatnot):

The Execute method of job definition Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPProductVersionJobDefinition (ID ab33e37a-b008-4dfe-88cf-d7c7fd0ec702) threw an exception. More information is included below.

Collection was modified; enumeration operation may not execute.

This is occurring nightly and I think it is why, if I go to Manage Servers in Farm in CA, the web server shows "Upgrade Required". If I go to that server and run (get-spserver $env:computername).NeedsUpgrade it returns FALSE. So basically it seems that failing job is causing CA to think the server needs an upgrade when it doesn't. I can also fire up the config wizard on the web server and it says nothing about doing an upgrade.

Anyone else run into this and know what the deal is?

Thanks,

Aaron

• Edited by aaronzott1 Thursday, August 22, 2013 12:45 PM
    Thursday, August 22, 2013 12:44 PM

Answers

• Thanks for the suggestions. I was able to resolve it by running a command I had to run in the past when PSConfig would think a server is missing bits after installing a CU but before running psconfig. I ran Get-SPProduct –local, and the result showed that nothing was missing. A minute later the "Upgrade Required" went away. I'm pretty sure SP2013 just likes to mess with me.
    • Marked as answer by aaronzott1 Friday, August 23, 2013 11:19 AM
    Friday, August 23, 2013 11:19 AM

All replies

• ULS logs show the above as well as:

Exception stack trace:   
     at System.Collections.Generic.List`1.Enumerator.MoveNextRare()    
     at Microsoft.SharePoint.Upgrade.SPUpgradeSession.NeedsUpgrade(Object o, Boolean bRecurse)    
     at Microsoft.SharePoint.Upgrade.SPUpgradeSession.ReflexiveNeedsUpgrade(Object o, Boolean bRecurse)    
     at Microsoft.SharePoint.Upgrade.SPUpgradeSession.NeedsUpgrade(Object o, Boolean bRecurse)    
     at Microsoft.SharePoint.Upgrade.SPUpgradeSession.ReflexiveNeedsUpgrade(Object o, Boolean bRecurse)    
     at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPServerProductInfo.DetectLocalUpgradeStatus()    
     at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPServerProductInfo.DetectLocalProductVersions(SPProductVersions prodVer)    
     at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPServerProductInfo.UpdateProductInfoInDatabase(Guid serverGuid)    
     at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPProductVersionJobDefinition.Execute(Guid targetInstanceId)    
     at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPTimerJobInvokeInternal.Invoke(SPJobDefinition jd, Guid targetInstanceId, Boolean isTimerService, Int32& result)

Thursday, August 22, 2013 1:05 PM
  • Try disconnecting this affected WFE server , and connect back to the farm.

Hrishi Deshpande – Senior Consultant DeltaBahn
    Blog | < | LinkedIn

Please click Mark As Answer; if a post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful if a post has been useful to you.This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, August 22, 2013 1:44 PM
  • Hi,

Try clearing the SharePoint timer cache and they run the PSCONFIG and check if the "Upgrade Required" goes away.

Thursday, August 22, 2013 9:18 PM
  • Thanks for the suggestions. I was able to resolve it by running a command I had to run in the past when PSConfig would think a server is missing bits after installing a CU but before running psconfig. I ran Get-SPProduct –local, and the result showed that nothing was missing. A minute later the "Upgrade Required" went away. I'm pretty sure SP2013 just likes to mess with me.
    • Marked as answer by aaronzott1 Friday, August 23, 2013 11:19 AM
    Friday, August 23, 2013 11:19 AM
  • Hi,

and what is this command when u say "I was able to resolve it by running a command I had to run in the past " ?

thank you for sharing ;-)

Wednesday, December 21, 2016 10:13 AM
  • From PowerShell run Get-SPProduct  –local

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/stefan_gossner/2016/08/09/sharepoint-patching-and-get-spproduct-local/

Michael Wharton, MVP, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCTS, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA
    Website http://www.WhartonComputer.com
    Blog http://MyProjectExpert.com contains my field notes and SQL queries

Wednesday, January 11, 2017 2:22 AM