Windows 7 control panel applets display as folders... RRS feed

• General discussion

• Okay, this question and its description are twofold. 

Windows 7 ultimate recently started hiding all kinds of files and folders in Windows Explorer. For example, I  open up Explorer and browse to the C: drive, and only see folders. It didn't happen with every location that's browsable, just most frequently accessed areas of my computer, such as my external drives.

Here's the second part, the most prioritized question.....

I recently installed(let me restate that, started using a stand-alone version of) Explorer++, because of the aforementioned disappearing-files/folders issue, and.....

since that time, control panel applets have not been opening correctly. They open as folders/categories. So when i browse to a specific item, such as Appearance and Personalization--->Display, I get an empty folder. This is troubling, as I cannot add-remove programs or hardware, using native Windows-7 code. I have no viruses or malware, this isn't a malicious code problem.

I think Explorer++ reassigned itself as the "real" windows 7 Shell, and somehow managed to replace control panel "special folders" as regular folders. Any help?

Thank you.  

Monday, October 8, 2012 3:26 AM

All replies

• Hi,

According to your description, I suggest to perform a system restore to see if the same issue occurs.

Also logon with Clean Boot or Safe Mode for test.

If the issue persists, try to use in-place upgrade to fix the issue:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2255099

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Leo Huang

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, October 9, 2012 2:44 AM
  • Those are good suggestions, and thank you....

The only problem with that is that I only have one restore point currently, and it was performed after the problem started occurring. Is there a reg-hack or registry file to "re-install" W7 Control panel? 

Tuesday, October 9, 2012 9:59 PM
  • Hi,

You can try to use SFC /Scannow to check system files:

How to use the System File Checker tool to troubleshoot missing or corrupted system files on Windows Vista or on Windows 7
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

If the issue persists, I’m afraid you need to use Windows 7 installation disc to repair system.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Leo Huang

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 2:35 AM
  • I have done this to no avail.......

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 5:41 PM