none
Help using actuals in new project RRS feed

• Question

• I have a project plan that I used for an exercise last year that contains actual start/finish date and times.  I want to create a new project plan using my existing plan with the actual date and time as the planned date and time in the new plan.  What's the fastest way to accomplish this without recreating the entire plan?  Thanks in advance!!
    Wednesday, February 6, 2013 6:08 PM

All replies

• To clear all the actuals in your schedule do the following:

In Project 2010 click on any column heading displayed in the Gantt Chart view - press the F3 button to ensure you are not hiding any Filtered Tasks. You may also want to ensure no subtasks are hidden by going to the View Tab and clicking the Outline button and selecting "all Subtasks".

On the Tasks Ribbon click the 0% button this should reset all tasks to 0% complete.

You may also wish to ensure that there are no constrained tasks - from the View Tab chose Filters, More Filters and filter for tasks with fixed dates. This will show any tasks that are constrained or still have progress of more than 0% complete.

Now go to the Project Tab, chose Project Information and set the start date to a date that is relevant and, assuming you are scheduling from the Project Start date, all tasks will be scheduled from the start date onwards by virtue of their durations and dependencies.

Dominic Moss MAPM, MCTS, MCITP, MCT PM News
    http:/EPM Site

Wednesday, February 6, 2013 6:40 PM
  • Start by creating a New Project, selecting New from Existing.
    I hope that it is sufficient to work with tasks - if you are working with multiple assignments per task and you want to preserve different start dates per assignment within a single task, life gets a bit more complicated.

If you just delete the Actual starts in your new project, the schedule will revert to As Soon As Possible scheduling so you want to put in constraint dates for all the tasks that had Actual Start dates. You may want to check that the actuals you were using before did not breach any task dependency rules.
    I would suggest using a custom task date field - copy into it all the actual start dates from detailed tasks, then delete the actual start dates and copy the custom field contents into the Start date. This will have the effect of setting those dates as a Start No Earlier Than value for each task.

Graham

Wednesday, February 6, 2013 6:52 PM
  • I used the custom task date field and copied those into the Start date, which works beautifully, except that it repopulates my Actual Start and Actual Finish dates again.  I need the Actuals to be empty.  If I delete the Actuals it resets my Start/Finish dates.  I'm stuck in a loop!!
    Thursday, February 7, 2013 1:39 PM
  • You need to delete the %complete values as well - before copying any dates into the start field.

Friday, February 8, 2013 1:41 PM