locked
Multiple Emails with analyst comment - different email template RRS feed

  • Question

  • Driving me nuts. When i add an analyst comment to an incident, an email triggers to affected user stating the comment using assigned Email Template (html). BUT... a 2nd email then arrived with the same comment but in plain text and not formatted. I have gone through EVERY email template and cannot locate this template. If i can find the template used i can find the subscription/workflow but i have tried to disable/enable which i think may be the cause but all that happens is that the correct notification email stops working.

    SCSM 2012r2

    Any assistance appreciated.

    Wednesday, November 15, 2017 4:50 PM

Answers

  • Hi Glen, thanks for all your assistance on this!

    After hours I managed to figure out that we had a 3rd party management pack installed to send updates!

    MP removed and problem resolved!

    • Proposed as answer by Yan Li_ Wednesday, November 29, 2017 8:33 AM
    • Marked as answer by Pierre Smit1 Wednesday, November 29, 2017 9:25 AM
    Monday, November 27, 2017 10:14 AM

All replies

  • Hi

    Troubleshooting email notifications can be hard. You have gone through the obvious templates and have not found anything. This indicates that it is something strange and that more unlikely scenarios need to be tested.

    I would check the following:

    1. Confirm the email is coming from Service Manager. An Exchange Admin will be able to look at the tracking logs and see where it was sent from. The email address of the sender probably indicates this as well. 

    2. Check for custom or third party workflows. Are they sending an email that you are not aware of. This is one of the more likely causes if you eliminated the existing templates.

    3. Disable the subscription that sends the HTML notification (ie the one you want) and add a analyst comment, does this still send a plain text email to the user? Re-reading the post, it sounds like you did this one already.

    4. Not sure if this is practical, depends on the number of templates and their use, but consider adding a line to the email template that indicates what it is used for and how it gets triggered. This will help eliminate the existing templates.
    I like to do this regardless, for the exact reason you find your self in now. It is hard to track backwards when here are a lot of templates and subscriptions. 

    5. Audit the subscriptions and find out which templates they are using. See if this turns up anything unexpected.

    Troubleshooting this is difficult and frustrating. these are only suggestions and you will have a better idea if they are appropriate for your situation.

    Regards.

    Glen


    Web: www.xapity.com  |   Twitter: @xapityapps  |   Facebook: xapityapps

    • Proposed as answer by Yan Li_ Monday, November 20, 2017 7:52 AM
    Saturday, November 18, 2017 12:09 AM
  • Hi Glen, thanks for the message.

    I have checked exchange logs and both emails are sent from the service manager server.I have done some further testing which, well...has ruled a few things out but hasn't helped solve the problem.

    Disabled the "Channel" entery - all emails stopped

    Disabled all subscriptions (bad idea as I found out when enabling them again!) - Plain incorrent email received, good HTML one not delivered!

    Disabled all workflows - Both emails received.

    Disabled the Message Queue on Server Manager/Roles - Both emails delivered

    SMTP is not configured on IIS

    Any ideas very welcome...

    Monday, November 20, 2017 3:34 PM
  • Hi

    It is good that you have confirmed Service Manager is sending the emails. And this is confirmed by disabling the channel entry and all emails stopped.

    I think the key test was when you disabled all subscriptions and still received the plain email. This would indicate that the most likely and easiest cause - an unknown subscription - is not the problem. As we suspected from your first post.

    I think that that the most likely causes is a custom solution (workflow, app, code?) that is running and sending the email. Have you installed any third party apps or done any custom code development?

    This is a bit of a log shot and time consuming. You could look at the Administration\Workflows\Status and the All Instances tab on some workflows to see when the workflow ran last. You might be able to match a timestamp.

    Regards

    Glen



    Web: www.xapity.com  |   Twitter: @xapityapps  |   Facebook: xapityapps

    Monday, November 20, 2017 8:44 PM
  • Hi Glen, thanks for all your assistance on this!

    After hours I managed to figure out that we had a 3rd party management pack installed to send updates!

    MP removed and problem resolved!

    • Proposed as answer by Yan Li_ Wednesday, November 29, 2017 8:33 AM
    • Marked as answer by Pierre Smit1 Wednesday, November 29, 2017 9:25 AM
    Monday, November 27, 2017 10:14 AM
  • Glad to hear that. 

    It would be better if you could mark it as answer. 

    Regards,

    Yan


    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

    Wednesday, November 29, 2017 8:33 AM