none
Power Query first time connection to SAP HANA RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

One of my team member using office 365 32 bit (1908 semi annual ) . he was previously using Tableau and also downloaded SAP HANA 64 bit client for his reporting purpose.

recently he started using power query and tried to connect SAP HANA first time. he also downloaded 32 bit SAP HANA client too as office is 32 bit. but still he is getting below error. Can anybody let me know what can be the possible issues ?

Note : this issue is faced only by limited number of team members , whereas other are using this without any issue with same version of office.

Rajender

Thursday, March 19, 2020 9:04 PM

Answers

• The connector looks for the driver in the registry, so if it wasn’t properly installed it won’t show up.

The registry key is:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\ODBC\ODBCINST.INI\ODBC Drivers

If you’re on a 64 bit machine, but Excel/Power BI is 32 bit (like the screenshots below), you can check the WOW6432 node instead:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\WOW6432Node\ODBC\ODBCINST.INI\ODBC Drivers

Please note that the driver needs to match the version of your Excel/Power BI Desktop. If you’re using:

• 32bit Excel/Power BI Desktop you will need 32 bit ODBC driver (HDBODBC32).
    • 64bit Excel/Power BI Desktop you will need 64 bit ODBC driver (HDBODBC).

The driver is usually installed by running hdbsetup.exe.

Finally, the driver should also show up in ODBC DataSources 32-bit (or ODBC DataSources 64-bit).

• Marked as answer by AskQuery1984 Wednesday, March 25, 2020 6:50 AM
    Monday, March 23, 2020 10:38 PM

All replies

• The connector looks for the driver in the registry, so if it wasn’t properly installed it won’t show up.

The registry key is:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\ODBC\ODBCINST.INI\ODBC Drivers

If you’re on a 64 bit machine, but Excel/Power BI is 32 bit (like the screenshots below), you can check the WOW6432 node instead:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\WOW6432Node\ODBC\ODBCINST.INI\ODBC Drivers

Please note that the driver needs to match the version of your Excel/Power BI Desktop. If you’re using:

• 32bit Excel/Power BI Desktop you will need 32 bit ODBC driver (HDBODBC32).
    • 64bit Excel/Power BI Desktop you will need 64 bit ODBC driver (HDBODBC).

The driver is usually installed by running hdbsetup.exe.

Finally, the driver should also show up in ODBC DataSources 32-bit (or ODBC DataSources 64-bit).

• Marked as answer by AskQuery1984 Wednesday, March 25, 2020 6:50 AM
    Monday, March 23, 2020 10:38 PM
  • Hi Jorge,

Thanks a lot. I tried to uninstall both 32bit & 64 bit SAP HANA client. and reinstall only 32 client than its working fine. but as soon as I reinstall 64 bit client again in my system than its giving me same error again.

Actually I need SAP HANA 64 client as well for my existing Tableau running reports till I create new report to Power BI.

Can you please help me out ?

Rajender

Wednesday, March 25, 2020 6:53 AM