Windows speech recognition does not work RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,
    I have a problem in trying to run Windows speech recognition. When I go to Control panel -> Speech recognition, I'm unable to turn it on because of this information which displays everytime:
    Windows Speech Recognition is not available for the current display language.
    I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium (Slovak version).
    How can I get it working? Please...
    Thank you.
    Saturday, January 9, 2010 4:56 PM

Answers

• Hi,
    I found that in Windows 7 Home Premium you're not able to switch between languages. Only one language is allowed i think...
    • Marked as answer by Matej Tomcik Wednesday, January 13, 2010 8:28 AM
    Wednesday, January 13, 2010 8:28 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Which language version of Windows 7 you are using? Windows Speech Recognition is available in English (U.S.), English (U.K.), German (Germany), French (France), Spanish (Spain), Japanese, Chinese (Traditional), and Chinese (Simplified).

Try the following method:

1. Open control panel->Change Display language
    2. Click Install/uninstall language, remove all installed languages.

Thomas77
    Monday, January 11, 2010 8:41 AM
  • Hi,
    I'm using Slovak version, but why should I remove all installed languages? Is there some other way?
    Monday, January 11, 2010 9:11 AM
  • Hello,

Unfortunately, Windows speech recognition currently does not support Slovak language. It only works in the following language versions:

English (U.S.), English (U.K.), German (Germany), French (France), Spanish (Spain), Japanese, Chinese (Traditional), and Chinese (Simplified).

Thomas77
    Monday, January 11, 2010 9:40 AM
  • But is the uninstallation of all languages and having only one of those languages you wrote the only solution? Can I have both Slovak and English languages together and just switch between them?
    Monday, January 11, 2010 12:07 PM
  • Hello,

Yes, you can keep Slovak and English languages. Try to switch the Display Language to English and see if Windows speech recognition works.

Thomas77
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 2:10 AM
  • Hi,
    I found that in Windows 7 Home Premium you're not able to switch between languages. Only one language is allowed i think...
    • Marked as answer by Matej Tomcik Wednesday, January 13, 2010 8:28 AM
    Wednesday, January 13, 2010 8:28 AM
  • thats correct, only Windows 7 Ultimate and Enterprise can have additional language packs http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/972813
    MCSE, MCSA, MCDST [If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
    Wednesday, January 13, 2010 2:19 PM