none
Master Project Management RRS feed

• Question

• Hi 

We have a master project with several sub projects. However there has been a request for a single task to be added to the master project to do work relating to some of the sub projects. Up to now the sub projects have been getting published (we use EPM 2010) and the master was used to report the programme progression. By adding this single task to the master would mean that it would need to be published also (we report on actual work for our resources weekly), are there any reasons why this shouldn't be done?

I have tried it on our test system and the resources' work shows as the sub project name but the actual work shows as the master project name. I noticed that in the performance point dashboards the sub project names where no longer available in the pick lists.

Thanks

Michelle

Wednesday, February 18, 2015 12:39 PM

Answers

• Michelle --

Good question.  The issue you are seeing is problematic for the reasons you already noticed.  Therefore, I would recommend you remove the task from the master project.  Instead, add it to each of the relevant subprojects, but give the task a unique name in each subproject so you do not confuse the resources assigned to the tasks.  Once done, return to using the master project for program regression only.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Wednesday, February 18, 2015 2:31 PM

All replies

• Michelle --

Good question.  The issue you are seeing is problematic for the reasons you already noticed.  Therefore, I would recommend you remove the task from the master project.  Instead, add it to each of the relevant subprojects, but give the task a unique name in each subproject so you do not confuse the resources assigned to the tasks.  Once done, return to using the master project for program regression only.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Wednesday, February 18, 2015 2:31 PM
  • Thanks Dale...that's what I thought, just wanted to check with an expert.

M Lynch

Wednesday, February 18, 2015 2:55 PM
  • Michelle --

You are more than welcome for the help, my friend!  :)

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Wednesday, February 18, 2015 4:16 PM