SMTP: Address issue RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Everyone,

I work for a hospital and our HIS has an auto-mailer to notify people when certain payments are posted.  These emails are sent in the form of SMTP:user@contoso.com.  This was not an issue until we switched recently and I am unsure what could be causing this to fail?  It seems as though a simple fix from the HIS vendor could easily resolve this but getting them to change their programming is not efficient.  I am not an exchange guru and am especially foreign to 2010.  

Doe anybody have an idea about why this is happening?  I can actually click the "invalid email" and open it in Outlook to send correctly.  The email address itself is valid but it appears the SMTP: is causing the issue.  Any help is much appreciated. 

Delivery has failed to these recipients or groups:
    SMTP:email@recipient.org
    The format of the e-mail address isn't correct. A correct address looks like this: someone@example.com. Please check the recipient's e-mail address and try to resend the message.

• Edited by paboothz71 Friday, December 7, 2012 5:52 PM Mistyped the email address/added the @ symbol
    Friday, December 7, 2012 5:18 PM

Answers

• Seems like your HIS are having the issue.

I suspect it's sending the e-mails to "SMTP:user@domain.com" when it should be using "user@domain.com"

stefan@xperta

• Proposed as answer by wendy_liu Monday, December 17, 2012 2:06 AM
    • Marked as answer by wendy_liu Tuesday, December 18, 2012 3:23 AM
    Monday, December 10, 2012 8:28 AM
  • Hi ,

Are you ok send email from internal ?

If yes, please check if your HIS configuration added prefix “SMTP”.

Wendy Liu
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, December 14, 2012 9:54 AM

All replies

• Looks like you have an addressing issue with your reply-to address which looks like it is an address that has no "@"

I've seen these kinds of issues in co-existance scenarios with other e-mailing systems.

If you check your user, what other addresses does that account have?

stefan@xperta

Friday, December 7, 2012 5:36 PM
  • Good catch but that was a result of me committing a typo!  I made the edit to show that the email addresses are all valid.  
    Friday, December 7, 2012 5:54 PM
  • Hi

Do you have any anti-virus or anti-spam in place?

Did you migrate from Exchange 2003/2007 to Exchange 2010? Check the users email addresses or aliases to see if their are any errors. 

Friday, December 7, 2012 6:12 PM
  • You don't have an extra trailing period in your address when it comes back do you?

Also extra spaces in front and behind are sometimes the cause of "unexplained" errors like this.

stefan@xperta

Friday, December 7, 2012 7:00 PM
  • The anti-virus doesn't filter mail and it happens when the server attempts to email any address whether it is an internal or external address. 
    Friday, December 7, 2012 9:02 PM
  • There should be more information in the header of your e-mails.

stefan@xperta

• Edited by stefan-iz Friday, December 7, 2012 9:05 PM
    Friday, December 7, 2012 9:04 PM
  • The addresses look fine in the failed delivery report.  The only problem is what I pasted above where it shows that SMTP:xxxx@xxxx.org is not valid.  The addresses are valid but it does not seem to like the SMTP: addition. 
    Friday, December 7, 2012 9:05 PM
  • If you run get-mailbox user | Select -Expand EmailAddresses

could you post the result here, capitalization matters.

stefan@xperta

Friday, December 7, 2012 9:07 PM
  • Here are the results with the names substituted out. 

SmtpAddress        : First.Last@domain.org
    AddressString      : First.Last@domain.org
    ProxyAddressString : SMTP:First.Last@domain.org
    Prefix             : SMTP
    IsPrimaryAddress   : True
    PrefixString       : SMTP

Friday, December 7, 2012 10:31 PM
  • Hello Everyone,

I work for a hospital and our HIS has an auto-mailer to notify people when certain payments are posted.  These emails are sent in the form of SMTP:user@contoso.com.  This was not an issue until we switched recently and I am unsure what could be causing this to fail?  It seems as though a simple fix from the HIS vendor could easily resolve this but getting them to change their programming is not efficient.  I am not an exchange guru and am especially foreign to 2010.  

Doe anybody have an idea about why this is happening?  I can actually click the "invalid email" and open it in Outlook to send correctly.  The email address itself is valid but it appears the SMTP: is causing the issue.  Any help is much appreciated. 

Delivery has failed to these recipients or groups:
    SMTP:email@recipient.org
    The format of the e-mail address isn't correct. A correct address looks like this: someone@example.com. Please check the recipient's e-mail address and try to resend the message.

1. How does HIS send email? Does it use your Exchange hub/edge server as smart host via SMTP? What authentication does it use when it talks to Exchange server?

2. Are the recipients internal (i.e. staff Exchange mailbox) or external (e.g. patient's own mailbox)?

• Edited by Li Zhen Saturday, December 8, 2012 4:07 AM
    Saturday, December 8, 2012 4:06 AM
  • Seems like your HIS are having the issue.

I suspect it's sending the e-mails to "SMTP:user@domain.com" when it should be using "user@domain.com"

stefan@xperta

Monday, December 10, 2012 8:28 AM
  • Hi ,

Are you ok send email from internal ?

If yes, please check if your HIS configuration added prefix “SMTP”.

Wendy Liu
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, December 14, 2012 9:54 AM