none
Sync to SharePoint 2010 Tasks List Issues RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have been testing the sync between Project Professional 2010 and a Sharepoint 2010 tasks list and have come across the following issues:

1) We use a shared list across all our projects to store tasks and have a project ID column to filter then using web part data connections. Syncing the first project is fine and works without issues (bar the special character restrictions for summary tasks which I have resolved) however when syncing the second project I can't get the fields in project (Milestone & custom column - Project ID) to link to the corresponding SharePoint column as it states that already exists in SharePoint when I try to add a field. I can't select the correct field from project either in the dropdown as it only shows Flag1-20.

2) I would like to have a one way sync to SharePoint as the sync changes tasks to be manually scheduled in Project breaking several of our plans. Can anyone confirm if this will be fixed in Office 2010 SP1?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Tuesday, May 17, 2011 4:56 PM

Answers

• For the first issue, you'll want to maintain a 1-1 relationship between project files and task lists. If you don't, when you sync the task list back into the project plan, you'll get all the tasks, not just the task from that project. I do believe though that SharePoint has a rollup webpart where you can combine multiple lists into one uber-list. Try searching on SharePoint Rollup List webpart.

For the second issue, we don't support a one way sync but with Project 2010 SP1, we do support sync'ing auto scheduled tasks. See this post for more information - http://blogs.msdn.com/b/project/archive/2011/05/16/project-2010-sp1.aspx On the same blog, I'll be posting more details tomorrow about this update to the SharePoint Sync feature.

Thanks,

Heather

Tuesday, May 17, 2011 8:17 PM

All replies

• For the first issue, you'll want to maintain a 1-1 relationship between project files and task lists. If you don't, when you sync the task list back into the project plan, you'll get all the tasks, not just the task from that project. I do believe though that SharePoint has a rollup webpart where you can combine multiple lists into one uber-list. Try searching on SharePoint Rollup List webpart.

For the second issue, we don't support a one way sync but with Project 2010 SP1, we do support sync'ing auto scheduled tasks. See this post for more information - http://blogs.msdn.com/b/project/archive/2011/05/16/project-2010-sp1.aspx On the same blog, I'll be posting more details tomorrow about this update to the SharePoint Sync feature.

Thanks,

Heather

Tuesday, May 17, 2011 8:17 PM
  • Apologies for adding a sidebar to this thread. I have a specific issue with trying to sync based on lookup columns in SharePoint 2010. Is that supported in Project 2010 where I can sync tasks in a Project Plan that have a lookup relation on the Tasks list to a Custom List in SP?

Thanks in advance!

--Karthik

Monday, May 23, 2011 3:05 AM
  • Hey, I'm so glad I found some questions/answers here on regards to MS Project - SharePoint sync.

I was wondering if you can help me with a little request that I have, been working on it trying to figure out a way to address it, but no luck so far.

I'm synching a project plan from MS Project over to a SharePoint list and as far as I can see... the milestones are identified in the SharePoint Gantt view by a little diamond or something.

This is my request, I need to create a view on the Project Task List that will show the milestones only. How can I do that?

Thanks in advance.

Wednesday, September 25, 2013 8:49 PM
  • I'm guessing you want to show only the milestones in SharePoint?  You'll need to modify the fields you sync and include the "Milestone" field from Project.  Then create a new view in SharePoint with a filter for Milestone equals Yes.
    Thursday, September 26, 2013 1:32 PM