Updating App-V apps deployed by SCCM RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi,

If I use SCCM 2012 to deploy my sequenced packages, using download and execute (no streaming from distribution points) method I understand that the package will be downloaded to the local SCCM cache and when a user launches the app the App-V client copes the content into the App-V cache.

What happens when I update the package on the SCCM server? If I create a new deployment for the updated package will the whole thing download to the SCCM cache? I am looking for a method of only downloading the differences if possible (I know this would probably be a lot easier if I choose streaming instead of download and execute!).

Any ideas?

Thanks

Thursday, June 18, 2015 4:13 PM

All replies

• OK so I think I found the answer but have not had the chance to test yet but I believe this is the answer:

• Remote Differential Compression (RDC) is a data transfer method that optimizes data transmission over the network.  Configuration Manager uses RDC to send only the portions of files that have changed to clients when virtual application package content is updated.  The Configuration Manager Client uses RDC to build a new version of a virtual application package based on the current version of the package and the changes that are sent to the client.
    Taken from Virtual Application Management with Microsoft Application Virtualization 4.5/4.6 and System Center Configuration Manager 2007 R2  whitepaper but I believe it is still valid for App-V 5.

Anyone have any experience using RDC?

Monday, June 22, 2015 9:57 AM
  • I'm presuming you upgrade you're existing package in the App-V sequencer and are then adding that new package into SCCM and using the supersedence option? You can also retire the old package which will remove the files from the SCCM cache on its next deletion cycle.

When you create a new deployment in SCCM, for you're upgraded package, it will download those package files in full (download and execute) into the SCCM cache. At this point SCCM client will attempt to Add/Mount and Publish this package; depending on whether its targeted at a user or computer collection. It's only at this point will the App-V client determine if its an upgrade at which time if will perform a differential (delta) upgrade.

It uses RDC when you are just updating the content for an existing package i.e. modifying the dynamic configuration files.

If disk space is a limiting factor for you then you should look at using the "stream content from DP" in conjunction with the Shared Content Store.

Here is a blog by Thamim Karmin that you might find useful.

Monday, June 22, 2015 2:10 PM