none
Microsoft Edge Search from Address Bar - How to disable RRS feed

• Question

• How do you disable Search from address bar in Edge on Windows 10?

It's the address bar why are we searching in it?  Why is it not an easy toggle like the other settings to turn off?  Isn't the search bar for searching and the address bar for entering URL's?

I grow very tired of search results popping up as I type a URL into the address bar, if this can not be turned off, then my days using Edge are numbered.

Cheers,
    Curt Winter
    Certified Microsoft Professional
    Note: Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied. If you found my post helpful, please mark it as the answer.

Wednesday, August 12, 2015 4:28 PM

Answers

• Yes, you can do that through Group Policy Settings.

Enable (default): Shows search suggestions in the Address bar.

Disable: Doesn't show search suggestions in the Address bar.

Ref:

Available policies for Microsoft Edge

S.Sengupta, Windows Experience MVP

Thursday, August 13, 2015 1:31 AM
  • On Thu, 13 Aug 2015 01:31:07 +0000, S.Sengupta [MVP] wrote:

Yes, you can do that through Group Policy Settings.

Disable: Doesn't show search suggestions in the*Address* bar.

First of all you need to keep in mind that not all versions of Windows 10
    ship with the Group Policy editor.

Secondly, there's no need to use GP to change this behaviour. You simply
    need to go to Advanced Settings in Edge and turn off the *Show search
    suggestions as I type* option.

Finally, the GP setting in question can be found at:

User Configuration/Administrative Templates/Windows Components/Microsoft
    Edge/Stops address bar from showing search suggestions

Paul Adare - FIM CM MVP

Thursday, August 13, 2015 4:45 AM

All replies

Ref:

Available policies for Microsoft Edge

Thursday, August 13, 2015 1:31 AM

Available policies for Microsoft Edge <http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/how-boot-windows-10-safe-mode-fix-boot-failures-pc-1514704>

Wrong URL.

Paul Adare - FIM CM MVP

Thursday, August 13, 2015 4:33 AM

Yes, you can do that through Group Policy Settings.

Disable: Doesn't show search suggestions in the*Address* bar.

First of all you need to keep in mind that not all versions of Windows 10
    ship with the Group Policy editor.

Secondly, there's no need to use GP to change this behaviour. You simply

Finally, the GP setting in question can be found at:

User Configuration/Administrative Templates/Windows Components/Microsoft
    Edge/Stops address bar from showing search suggestions

Paul Adare - FIM CM MVP

Thursday, August 13, 2015 4:45 AM

Available policies for Microsoft Edge <http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/how-boot-windows-10-safe-mode-fix-boot-failures-pc-1514704>

Wrong URL.

Paul Adare - FIM CM MVP

corrected URL. It was done by inadvertence. Thanks.

Thursday, August 13, 2015 6:04 AM
  • Unfortunately, the setting mentioned does not disable search in the address bar. It stops searching as you type only. After you hit enter, you are still taken to bing. 

So the original question is still unanswered: 

>How do you disable Search from address bar in Edge on Windows 10?

Is there any way to do it?

Thursday, October 1, 2015 8:26 AM
  • Unfortunately, the setting mentioned does not disable search in the address bar. It stops searching as you type only. After you hit enter, you are still taken to bing. 

So the original question is still unanswered: 

>How do you disable Search from address bar in Edge on Windows 10?

Is there any way to do it?

The OP 'tired of search results popping up as I type a URL into the address bar' so that to me is answered. You may like to post a new thread for your issue. Not sure what you are typing that goes to Bing (default) that you are expecting a different result from? I can type a URL and it goes to the URL.
    Thursday, October 1, 2015 5:10 PM
  • >How do you disable Search from address bar in Edge on Windows 10?

Looks like it can be done the same way it has always been done, e.g. using Manage Add-ons Search Providers, uncheck Search in the Address bar...  Thankfully change is instant both off and on.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Thursday, October 1, 2015 5:55 PM
  • Only seems to disable searching in the IE version that ships in W10.  Doesn't change the behaviour in Edge.
    Tuesday, October 20, 2015 11:20 AM
  • Your missing the point when I type www.google.com in the address bar I want to be taken to google.com not Bings list of results.  if you do not add http:// it will respond with Bing results.  Very poor choice to drive search traffic, since instead I just no longer use that browser ....

Cheers,
    Curt Winter
    Certified Microsoft Professional
    Note: Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied. If you found my post helpful, please mark it as the answer.

Tuesday, November 10, 2015 3:33 PM
  • Hello Curt,

Well  I do not get the same as you when typing www.google.com into the address bar on Edge;

So the icon changes as Edge recognises a URL, and the first option I get is to treat it as a link, then second is search.

So not sure if it is something in your cached files, have you tried clearing browser history to see if that helps?

• Edited by -Mr Happy- Tuesday, November 10, 2015 9:17 PM
    Tuesday, November 10, 2015 9:17 PM
  • >Secondly, there's no need to use GP to change this behaviour. You simply

Doesn't turn off search in the address bar.  With just this set and no GP settings type abc into the address bar and press enter.  You will get a call to your default search provider to search for abc.

Sunday, November 22, 2015 6:37 AM
  • >Isn't the search bar for searching
    Where is the search bar in Edge?

Sunday, November 22, 2015 6:39 AM
  • Curt,

I have used Windows since 3.1 and I think that this is one of their biggest mistakes. Bring back the URL & Search Bars. 

Tuesday, December 8, 2015 9:58 PM
  • Where is the search bar in Edge?

Press Ctrl-e and you'll see it, same as ever.   <eg>

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Tuesday, December 8, 2015 10:55 PM
  • Hey, I am having the same problem, did you find an answer to this?
    Wednesday, September 14, 2016 6:18 PM
  • same problem, did you find an answer to this?
    Several answers were given for a rather vague symptom description.  Can you improve the symptom description?   Also, notice that typing in the Address bar doesn't just cause an AutoComplete/AutoSuggest effect; if you are using a search engine which does its own Search Suggestions you may be getting that too.  But it is all customizable--your choice--not a "problem".

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Wednesday, September 14, 2016 8:27 PM
  • Robert, 

there is a very clear question in this thread: How to disable search in the address bar.

It is not answered yet and I couldn't find a proper solution. It is definitely not customizable at all.

For me (and others) it is a problem because i cannot disable edge to disclose information I type in the address bar to a search provider I do not want to have this information. I just want edge to navigate to the url I put into the address bar as before in IE.

The only workarounds I know of are either type http(s):// in front or use a fully qualified domain name.

/Klaus

Tuesday, October 4, 2016 12:43 PM
  • How to disable search in the address bar.

was answered by my first post.  However, apparently the implementation has now changed.  No matter.  Just find a workaround which makes that answer still valid.  E.g. change the default search engine to  www.bing.co.in  (which apparently cannot be found by Edge for some reason).  Then if that is not enough, since I have no interest in ever using that host you could create an invalid address for it using a HOSTS override.  Etc.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Wednesday, October 5, 2016 4:56 AM
  • Well  I do not get the same as you when typing www.google.com into the address bar on Edge;

Well that is not what Curt Winter asked; he clarified the question in the reply you replied to and your post here is not relevant to what was asked.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Friday, March 9, 2018 9:26 AM
  • Several answers were given for a rather vague symptom description.

I sure don't understand why the person asking the question is not being understood. He made the question quite clear in the explanation posted about 10 months before this post.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Friday, March 9, 2018 9:29 AM

To whom it might concern in the future, this response was marked as the answer by a Microsoft person. The person asking the question never posted anything indicating that the issue was solved and did post comments indicating this response (above) did not help.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Friday, March 9, 2018 9:36 AM
  • I sure don't understand why the person asking the question is not being understood.

Looks like you are having similar problems with yet another change in implementation.  E.g. evidently in the original implementation it was once possible to turn off search from the Address bar.  Then subsequently I mentioned a workaround possibility of using www.bing.co.in  as my default search engine.  Since neither are no longer possible perhaps you would have to find where the current unremovable default search engine is located and make it something similarly unusable. 

In fact, I have just thought of another possible workaround along the same lines of my previous workaround.  Add a HOSTS file entry for  www.bing.co.in  which works without a redirect--so  www.bing.co.in  shows up as a "discovered" search engine.  Then make  www.bing.co.in  your default search.  Then nullify  www.bing.co.in  in HOSTS (e.g. send it to local loopback).   What happens?

Also the OP question ended up sounding like a complaint about search as I type but that can still be turned off separately too.  But in fact, it is the search as I type option which helps us with the protocol prefix and other host name details that allow a successful Enter after only typing a partial URL.  If you turn everything off and enter only a partial URL what happens?  Probably not what was wanted?

Subsequently others have added their Me too! to show that they have interpreted this thread as being about a tracking issue.  What's yours?

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Friday, March 9, 2018 2:12 PM
  • No Chrome, nor Edge can do it.

Firefox needs tiny configuration (about:config -> keyw -> disable)... and DONE :)

So - thank you for letting me rediscover the browser that suits my needs.

Good luck.

Monday, April 9, 2018 8:02 PM
  • Robert Aldwinckle asked:

If you turn everything off and enter only a partial URL what happens?  Probably not what was wanted?

----------------

When "Search From Address Bar" could be disabled (as well as when address bar and search bar were separate), the browser would attempt to go to whatever you had typed.  If you typed a partial URL it would typically fail with some sort of page not found message.... which  *IS* what is wanted. 

You are correct that it won't be the originally intended webpage, but what I (and I think the original poster) want is for the browser to go where I tell it -- even if what I typed isn't what I meant. 

It is a relatively minor annoyance for me, but it contributes to this feeling that I don't control my laptop anymore.  If I type an invalid address it should go to an error page. I don't need it to tell me what it found on Bing or to list sites I frequent as recommendations. 

"Where do you want to go today?"  I will tell them where I want to go; I don't need them predicting where or deciding for me.  If I want to search Bing for something, I will go to Bing and type what I want to search in the search box.    

Slightly off topic: making it so I don't have to know what I'm doing or what a url looks like ultimately makes me less informed and less careful about what I'm doing ...  just type in the box and hit ok and let the computer figure it out ... hopefully nobody ever ends up on a spoofed site, because how will they know...   Masking all the technical details for a simpler "user experience" is not always what's best for the user.  

Wednesday, July 4, 2018 11:27 PM
  • Robert I don't know why you are not understanding the question. You are not answering it.

Let me give you an example: Say you want to browse your internal network to an internal webpage on the network like a Router's login page.  If you opened a browser and typed the IP of the Router for example "192.168.1.1", hit enter and it should pull up the login page of the Router.  Same with a personal webserver on a network, if I want to browse to that page I can type in the address of the server for example: Myserver.com, and the browser will take me to that servers page. 

I would not want MS Edge to search Bing.com to find a private internal webpage. Nor would I expect MS Edge or any browser to have to use a search engine and show me results of a web address that I typed in the ADDRESS BAR.  It should simply take me to the website I typed in, not show me results of a search.

IE had this problem to, but MS gave us the ability to turn off the feature by going into Tools > Manage Addins> Search providers > uncheck the "Search in the address bar..." option.

Is there a way to make Edge stop showing search results if we type in the actual URL in the address bar?

No one cares about the browser giving suggestions, the OP is asking how to make Edge stop searching Bing.com for everything and just take us where we want to go. 

Not sure how to be any clearer.

Saturday, February 2, 2019 2:48 AM