none
Windows 10 updates during active hours

Question

• Hi all. Currently running Windows 10 Home, build ID 15063.540. For the past several weeks my computer reboots itself any time of day without giving me a warning. When it comes back on I get the "Installing Windows Updates..." screen and that is that. Today I lost a lot of work due to my computer just shutting down (Word didn't auto-save in time) and I'm losing even more time trying to figure this out.

In Settings -> Update ->Restart Options, the buttons are completely grayed out meaning I can't select a time to finish updates. In a bit of research I thought I saw this has been disabled. So then I go to Change Active Hours, and I'm able to set my active hours but this means nothing. Windows 10 does whatever it wants.

Has anyone else had this issue? I'm a huge supporter of Windows 10, I encourage everyone I know to update it and move on from Xp, 7, 8, 8.1, but this is hugely frustrating.

TIA for help or ideas!

Wednesday, August 9, 2017 7:23 PM

All replies

• Thank you very much for supporting Windows 10.

Yes, Active Hour is a good way to Schedule Restart Time for Windows Update, I suggest to use registry method to configure it, loot at the following link.

Manage device restarts after updates

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/update/waas-restart#registry-keys-used-to-manage-restart

Under HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate use SetActiveHours to enable or disable active hours and ActiveHoursStart,ActiveHoursEnd to specify the range of active hours.

Besides, run Windows Update troubleshooter to diagnose potential issue, Update & security\Troubleshoot\Windows Update.

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, August 10, 2017 3:01 AM
  • This answer and solution is not sufficient. We have settings on our computers that should work and yet they don't. That is all there is to it - FIX YOUR PROBLEM! Why don't the settings work? What's the use of putting the settings there if your updates override them?! 

It's this simple. I go to settings, I tell it when my active hours are and that's it. Absolutely nothing should happen with updates during my active hours. Is that complicated? Who designed this? Are you not in touch with your customers? It would not seem so if your product so greatly inconveniences them. It says to me and other users that you don't care and that making a product that works properly for the consumer is not a priority. This is a huge issue and yet it continues to happen. Clearly, for years as based on a search through various threads.

Friday, March 30, 2018 12:16 PM