none
Originating IP Address Question POP vs. Exchange

Question

• Hello, got emails bounced back from a receivers domain because of a "lockout policy" from domain or IP address...here is the question:  If the sender connects to Exchange to send POP mail then their original public IP is in the email header, is this also true if they connect via Exchange/Activesync?  I am hoping that the originating IP will be that of Exchange Public IP and not the senders current public IP (if they are at home or traveling) -- I am also finding that with our spam filter it catches emails from internal users who are on a IP that is listed with SORBS and junks them.  In the scenario I am describing with POP mail it seems that Exchange is relaying the mail (because it is noting a different IP).
    Thursday, February 25, 2016 3:04 PM

Answers

• You can't send POP mail.  POP is a client mail retrieval protocol only.  POP clients send using SMTP.

The IP that is of importance is the one that connects to the receiver's server.  As far as I know the IP addresses in message headers aren't generally used for antispam.  I can't see how they'd be of any use because most of them are unroutable private IPs anyway.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

Friday, February 26, 2016 2:57 AM