Restore Start menu not working RRS feed

• Question

• I am working at a client site using a group of rented laptops. I've used this vendor's machines before with no problems. THIS time however, every machine has a blank Start menu. Everything is visible in All Programs, but in the last 6 offices I have been able to make reference to "out of the box Start menu" or "If you have Windows 7 at home it will look exactly like this." I have tried going to Properties>Start Menu>Customize> Use Default Settings and it is not working. On four different machines.

What is the secret handshake to repopulate the standard Start Menu? Do I have to manually re-pin everything? If so I will be a very unhappy camper.

Wednesday, February 5, 2014 4:21 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Did this a set of computers' start menu works well before?

If it ever no, it indicate there is really no program pinning here.

If it worked well before, a easier way to get them back is using system restore to roll back to a previous time when everything was working fine.

In addition, navigate to Properties->Start Menu->Customize->in 'Start menu size' section, make sure that the 'Number of recent programs to display' is not set to 0 (Zero).

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here

Karen Hu
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Tuesday, February 18, 2014 3:00 AM
    Thursday, February 6, 2014 7:35 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Did this a set of computers' start menu works well before?

If it ever no, it indicate there is really no program pinning here.

If it worked well before, a easier way to get them back is using system restore to roll back to a previous time when everything was working fine.

In addition, navigate to Properties->Start Menu->Customize->in 'Start menu size' section, make sure that the 'Number of recent programs to display' is not set to 0 (Zero).

Karen Hu

• Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Tuesday, February 18, 2014 3:00 AM
    Thursday, February 6, 2014 7:35 AM
  • Hi,

Was your issue resolved?  Please give us a feedback in order to provide further help.

Karen Hu

Friday, February 14, 2014 1:25 AM