Cannot format new 1TB Seagate SATA HDD external usb drive with Windows 7 Home Preminum OS? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a newly purchased 1TB external SATA HDD with a docking station. In Disk Management I am not able to activate the disk wizard to format the new disk.  Does anyone have a solution or does this not operate with Windows 7?  All information I have found does not pertain to Windows 7. 

I have tried someone suggestion about uninstalling the driver and reinstalling it.  It

Saturday, May 7, 2011 10:16 PM

Answers

• I suggest you contact the hard drive menufacturer and ask if you need any driver for the drive in Windows 7.
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Monday, May 23, 2011 7:40 AM
    Tuesday, May 10, 2011 8:19 AM
  • I have a newly purchased 1TB external SATA HDD with a docking station. In Disk Management I am not able to activate the disk wizard to format the new disk.  Does anyone have a solution or does this not operate with Windows 7?  All information I have found does not pertain to Windows 7. 

I have tried someone suggestion about uninstalling the driver and reinstalling it.  It

I assume you are able to see the drive under disk management, just that you're not able to format it? If still no go, try formatting the drive using diskpart cmd using the following step

Run cmd prompt as adminstrator, next type diskpart hit enter, follow by typing list disk & enter again, next type select disc 0 or disk 1 (depending which drive you wanna format) once the desire disc is selected, type list partiton & enter and it would display parttion 1 & partition 2, type select partition 1 or 2 (again depending which drive you wanna format) once the desire partiton is selected, type format fs=ntfs quick. Following are the step of my linked

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v174/olivero/diskpart.jpg

Wednesday, May 11, 2011 4:51 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hi,

Have you been able to examine the drive on another computer? If so, it might help to rule out any hardware defects.

Cathal

Cathal O'Brien BSc, PgDip, PhD . Techsmart Computer Repair
    Sunday, May 8, 2011 4:55 PM
  • I suggest you contact the hard drive menufacturer and ask if you need any driver for the drive in Windows 7.
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Tuesday, May 10, 2011 8:19 AM

I assume you are able to see the drive under disk management, just that you're not able to format it? If still no go, try formatting the drive using diskpart cmd using the following step

Run cmd prompt as adminstrator, next type diskpart hit enter, follow by typing list disk & enter again, next type select disc 0 or disk 1 (depending which drive you wanna format) once the desire disc is selected, type list partiton & enter and it would display parttion 1 & partition 2, type select partition 1 or 2 (again depending which drive you wanna format) once the desire partiton is selected, type format fs=ntfs quick. Following are the step of my linked

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v174/olivero/diskpart.jpg

Wednesday, May 11, 2011 4:51 AM
    Answerer