none
MDT 2012 and 2013 coexistence? RRS feed

• Question

• We want to be able to deploy Windows 2012 R2 but still can't drop the support for Windows 2003/2008. Is there any way MDT 2012 and 2013 can coexist without using a separate MDT server on a new VLAN?
    Tuesday, October 29, 2013 12:15 PM

Answers

• Thanks for the replies so far!

Just to verify; If I put the MDT versions on two separate VMs and then create two shares on a server, I can continue using WDS on that server for PXE boot selection just like I do with my current setup?

Tuesday, October 29, 2013 8:44 PM

All replies

• I guess you can install the new (or old) version of MDT to a separate folder in "C:\Program Files", and have two deployment shares and two consoles on one and the same server. However I think combining or co-existing Windows Automated Installation Kit and Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit side by side may be a different piece of the pie.

If this post is helpful please click "Mark for answer", thanks! Kind regards

• Proposed as answer by Brian Gonzalez Tuesday, October 29, 2013 2:07 PM
    Tuesday, October 29, 2013 1:45 PM
  • i don't think you can get around the need for two servers because WAIK and ADK can't function on the same server. it certainly isn't supported.
    Tuesday, October 29, 2013 2:56 PM
  • i don't think you can get around the need for two servers because WAIK and ADK can't function on the same server. it certainly isn't supported.
    I partially agree, you don't need a 'server' for WAIK or WADK, a virtual workstation would do the job as well. Is it desired, not really. But it can perfectly possible to open up the deployment share from a VM which has WAIK for legacy support en regenerate the WAIK boot images if needed.

Tuesday, October 29, 2013 3:13 PM
  • I do this all the time.  You will need 2 "management" workstations (VMs are great for this) but only 1 MDT "server".

On one workstation/VM install MDT 2012 and everything you'll need.  On the other install MDT 2013.

Create separate shares on the "server", one for MDT 2012 (\\Server\MDT2012) and one for MDT 2013  (\\Server\MDT2013).

• Proposed as answer by mmarable Wednesday, October 30, 2013 3:10 PM
    Tuesday, October 29, 2013 4:28 PM
  • Thanks for the replies so far!

Just to verify; If I put the MDT versions on two separate VMs and then create two shares on a server, I can continue using WDS on that server for PXE boot selection just like I do with my current setup?

Tuesday, October 29, 2013 8:44 PM
  • Yes!

Tuesday, October 29, 2013 8:56 PM
  • yup you can do that.
    Tuesday, October 29, 2013 10:45 PM
  • What I don't come to understand and I see it more and more, the 'propose your own answer as answer' and marking and ignoring other peoples answers? What's up with this?????

Wednesday, October 30, 2013 8:38 AM
  • Yes, of course you can.  That's the setup I have. 
    Wednesday, October 30, 2013 3:08 PM