none
End of Microsoft Security Essentials RRS feed

• Question

• I came across this post on a web site claiming that Microsoft is recommending installation of other security suites.

http://www.howtogeek.com/173291/goodbye-microsoft-security-essentials-microsoft-now-recommends-you-use-a-third-party-antivirus/

The assumption is made that the 'Windows Defender' in Windows 8 is the same as Microsoft Security Essentials for Windows 7.

My experience of running Windows 8 since the first preview was released - and up to the RTM of Windows 8.1 which I have ben evaluating since it's release to TechNet in August this year - has definitely proved that the new Windows Defender has been protecting all the systems that I have installed on 4 desktops and also 2 laptops.

Periodically I run malware scans with Malwarebytes, Online Superantispyware and ADWCleaner - which all show only tracking cookies.

During the time these systems were running Windows 8 - one Trojan was trapped in the quarantine by Windows Defender - and two other Trojans were located by the scanning applications.

Since upgrading to Windows 8.1 - no malware intrusions have been reported by Windows Defender or the malware scans.

Monday, October 7, 2013 7:14 PM

All replies

• Hi

This is the wrong forum. Please post as informational and not a question if you not experiencing any errors.

Tuesday, November 5, 2013 10:09 AM