none
How to update schedule to reflect a task completed with non-continuous work? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all.  I'm trying to update a task with actual figures.  The task was scheduled to require 60 minutes of time.  The task is now complete, and the resource did indeed spend 60 minutes of time on it.  But that 60 minutes was spread out over two days, i.e. the resource worked on the task for 30 minutes one day, then 30 minutes the next day.  How do I add these actual figures to Project?  When I attempt the usual method of "Update Task," and enter the Actual Start and Actual Finish dates, project assumes the resource worked every hour in-between on that task.  How do I tell project that the task completed with a two day "overall duration" but only 60 minutes of work done by the resource.

Thanks in advance.

Sunday, October 9, 2016 5:11 AM

Answers

• Hi,

You can use the task usage view to reflect non continuous actual work: you'll get a timephased grid that you can display with the given timeperiod (day, week, month), like in excel.

That being said, tracking 30-min tasks might be a little tedious.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller

• Marked as answer by cagross99 Sunday, October 9, 2016 8:26 AM
    Sunday, October 9, 2016 7:06 AM

All replies

• Hi,

You can use the task usage view to reflect non continuous actual work: you'll get a timephased grid that you can display with the given timeperiod (day, week, month), like in excel.

That being said, tracking 30-min tasks might be a little tedious.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller

• Marked as answer by cagross99 Sunday, October 9, 2016 8:26 AM
    Sunday, October 9, 2016 7:06 AM
  • OK I see now, thanks.

>>tracking 30-min tasks might be a little tedious.

I'm OK with the tedium for now.  This project is relatively small--only a single resource and ~60 hours in total.  I'm mainly using Project in this case as a learning experience, so I'll hopefully be able to more easily use MS Project in the future with bigger projects.

Sunday, October 9, 2016 8:26 AM
  • Actually, in what about also achieving my goal by changing the task type to "Fixed Work?"  Would there be any issues with me doing that?  The project in question has a single resource (me), and will have a single resource throughout the project.

edit:  Actually I now see that this solution allows me to spread work out over a long duration during the planning phase. I think your original suggestion of using the task usage view is what I will really need to use to spread *actual* work done over a long duration.  Hope that makes sense.

• Edited by cagross99 Sunday, October 9, 2016 10:08 AM
    Sunday, October 9, 2016 9:42 AM