none
Overtime RRS feed

• Question

• Two task A and B are in SS relationship. Task A duration is 3 days, Task B duration is 4 days Here i am using same resource namely l1,l2 for two task  so i am getting overallocation problem.How to solve overallocation by using overtime

Regards!!!

Sivakumar.G Project Management Consultant

Tuesday, November 11, 2014 2:43 PM

All replies

• Assigning overtime will not resolve the overallocation.  Assigning overtime merely drops the duration of the tasks.

Using your scenario:

After assigning both resources to each task, the two resources are assign to work 16 hours on Days 1 through 3 during the overlap.

On Task A, I assign 8 hours of OT for each resource.  The duration of Task A drops to 2 days.  Now both resources are working 12 hours on Task A for 2 days and are now assigned to 20 hours of work on Day 1 and Day 2.  They are no longer overallocated on Day 3 - but the overallocation on Day 1 & 2 is worse.

Overtime is not an answer for your scenario.  I see two choices - drop the assignment units so the resources can multi-task -- but that will increase duration.

Link the tasks in a Finish to start relation, keeping each task duration the same, but extending the overall duration.

Level the resources and delay one of the tasks - again, extending the overall duration.

Tuesday, November 11, 2014 3:09 PM
  • Dear Mam,

Then which kind of scenario i go for overtime concept.

Regards!!!

SIVAKUMAR G

Wednesday, November 12, 2014 7:12 AM
  • I'm sorry, but I don't understand your question.  You use overtime in an attempt to shorten the duration of tasks.  The overallocation you note above cannot be resolved by shortening the duration as the problem is due to the Start to Start link.

Wednesday, November 12, 2014 1:37 PM
  • Here i even short the duration my point is two task done by one resource at the same day. it is not possible without reducing resource assignment unit for each task. So i go for overtime to do this. If i give the resource overtime overallocation solved or not How to do? 
    Thursday, November 13, 2014 1:22 PM
  • Shiv PMC --

Pardon me for bumping into this thread.  My esteemed colleague, Julie, has given you some excellent guidance.  And she is totally correct that trying to add Overtime Work will not resolve the overallocation for the resource on these two parallel tasks.  In my opinion, you have two choices:

1. The simplest choice is to simply ignore the overallocation for the resource on these two tasks.  I refer to this as "living in the red."  You simply know that the resource will work the required number of hours to get these two tasks done on time, and you ignore the red stick figures.  In fact, if you want to remove the red stick figures for these two tasks, right-click on each task individually and select the Ignore Problems for This Task item on the shortcut menu.
    2. Increase the Max. Units value in the Resource Sheet view for this resource to the maximum amount of hours they will work in a typical work day.  For example, if you know they regularly work 12 hours/day, increase the Max. Units value to 150%.  I would personally not use this method, but it is certainly an option for you.

So, there are two more ideas for you.  Again, I want to emphasize what Julie has already correctly stated:  you cannot resolve the overallocation by adding Overtime Work to either task.  Hope this little bit extra helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Thursday, November 13, 2014 1:50 PM
  • Hi,

If you allow me to jump in, here is how you could do, based on your use case. We see that the resource is overallocated sinec there are 3 days overlapping between the 2 tasks:

Then if you use the task form (work), you can set that the 3 days tasks will be as overtime work. Note that you cannot do that in the timephased view, only in the task form. Note also that if you enter 0 for work and 3days for overtime, it will copy the 3 days in the work, but the total work will still be 3days. Doing this the resource is not anymore overallocated:

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller |

Thursday, November 13, 2014 1:55 PM
  • Shiv PMC --

Pardon me for bumping into this thread.  My esteemed colleague, Julie, has given you some excellent guidance.  And she is totally correct that trying to add Overtime Work will not resolve the overallocation for the resource on these two parallel tasks.  In my opinion, you have two choices:

1. The simplest choice is to simply ignore the overallocation for the resource on these two tasks.  I refer to this as "living in the red."  You simply know that the resource will work the required number of hours to get these two tasks done on time, and you ignore the red stick figures.  In fact, if you want to remove the red stick figures for these two tasks, right-click on each task individually and select the Ignore Problems for This Task item on the shortcut menu.
    2. Increase the Max. Units value in the Resource Sheet view for this resource to the maximum amount of hours they will work in a typical work day.  For example, if you know they regularly work 12 hours/day, increase the Max. Units value to 150%.  I would personally not use this method, but it is certainly an option for you.

So, there are two more ideas for you.  Again, I want to emphasize what Julie has already correctly stated:  you cannot resolve the overallocation by adding Overtime Work to either task.  Hope this little bit extra helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Hi Dale!

I do hope I did not push our fellow on a wrong track since I get to a different conclusion doing some tests.. I could solve the overallocation by transfering the work to the overtime work. There are some limitations since it cannot be spread in the time. Can you help confirming my understanding? I'd rather trust Julie and you since you have much more experience that I have.

Hope this helps,

Thursday, November 13, 2014 2:06 PM
  • Guillaume --

Clever solution, however, the only way I could get your solution to work is by setting the Task Type to Fixed Duration.  If the Task Type is either Fixed Units or Fixed Work, and then I enter the Work value into the Overtime Work field for the resource assignment in the Task Form, Microsoft Project 2013 changes the Duration of the task to 0 days.  If I use the Fixed Duration task type, Microsoft Project 2013 does maintain the original Duration as expected, but changes the solid bar to the split bar (...), which could be confusing to both the PM and anyone looking at the project.  Beyond this, if I am using Standard and Overtime cost rates for the resource assigned to this task, your solution drives up the cost significantly if the Overtime Rate is higher than the Standard rate.

Yes, your solution does work, but it has some limitations which the user would have to consider before choosing thepath forward.  But thanks for sharing!  :)

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Thursday, November 13, 2014 3:14 PM
  • Thanks for your feedback Dale! Indeed I did have the same behavior if the task is not with the fixed duration type. I agree with you that the limitations might exclude this solution.

Hope this helps,

Thursday, November 13, 2014 3:28 PM
  • Hi

I solve overallocation by adding actual overtime column in time phased view on task usage and i will edit the values to solve the overallocation but the drawback is if i entered the value 24hr in actual overtime column and 8 hr in regular work column project will accept this. But concept is a person works only maximum upto 24hr so why msp agreed this. my input is wrong why msp not indicate you cannot able to give work like this because a day contains only 24 hrs.

Friday, November 14, 2014 1:22 PM
  • Hi,

Practically see how the human resource work 24hrs/day + 8hrs/day. You go and check the task usage view

Regards!!!

Sivakumar G

• Edited by Shiv PMC Friday, November 14, 2014 1:32 PM
    Friday, November 14, 2014 1:29 PM
  • Shiv PMC --

Microsoft Project will allow you to enter more than 24 hours in a day in the timephased grid to allow for reporting on Generic resources.  For example, suppose that you have a resource named 7 Man Crew assigned to a task and each member of that crew worked 8 hours in a day.  For that resource, you would enter 56 hours in the Actual Work cell for that day.

I am glad you figured out a solution to your problem.  If any of our responses so far has answered your original question, would you please mark the response as the answer?  Thanks!

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Friday, November 14, 2014 1:37 PM
  • Dear Dale A. Howard

My scenario is  not use the generic resource in my project I specify my task with one eg as follows.

Eg

Task A-----> Duration = 3d

Task B-----> Duration = 2d

Resource name : Ram designated as a labor for the above task . The above task is SS relation type

I solve the overallocation by giving overtime to ram. So that I inserted Actual overtime work in time phased view in task usage. Here i get the solution also but if I give the overtime as 24hrs/day and already he is doing regular work as 8hrs/day Msp agreed this concept why it is not you cannot able to assign the resource after 24hrs in a day

Saturday, November 15, 2014 11:11 AM
  • You can assign more than 24 hours of work to a resource in the Timephased grid.  Project will not flag a resource as overallocated with actual work.  I can put in any amount of actual work (actual overtime for example).  But in reality, it is not possible for a single resource (Ram) in the picture below to work 108 hours in a single day if Ram is only one person.

Because the tasks are complete, there is no overallocation indicator in the Gantt chart.

Project will not prevent you from entering more than 24 hours of work for a resource.

Saturday, November 15, 2014 2:36 PM
  • Dear Julie Sheets

Because the tasks are complete, there is no overallocation indicator in the Gantt chart.But it is not a reality that is my question

Yes I agreed

I need reality to solve the overallocation problem using overtime for these types

Sunday, November 16, 2014 11:02 AM
  • Again - you cannot resolve overallocations by assigning overtime in the scenario you have given.  You can resolve the overallocation by:

• Changing the schedule of the tasks by changing link type to F to S
    • Dropping the assignment unit so Ram can multi-task.  This will increase the task duration.
    • Using the Resource Level command to delay one of the tasks.

Monday, November 17, 2014 12:17 PM
  • So which type of scenario overtime is useful
    Monday, November 17, 2014 2:35 PM
  • Shiv --

Pardon me for bumping back into this thread.  As Julie states correctly, you simply cannot use Overtime Work to resolve the overallocation in your particular situation.  This is because you are running two parallel tasks that have a Start-to-Start dependency.  If you have several tasks that are not directly linked to one another and they overlap one another partially, you could use use Overtime Work to shorten the Duration of one of the overlapping tasks so that they no longer overlap.  That would be one scenario where Overtime Work would be useful, but you should know that using Overtime Work is not the way to resolve every overallocation.  It is simply one of about a dozen or so methods you can use to manually resolve overallocations. 

Hope this extra helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Monday, November 17, 2014 7:18 PM
  • ok leave this but which case overtime is useful

Tuesday, November 18, 2014 1:59 PM
  • Overtime is useful for reducing the duration of tasks.  If you are missing a deadline, and cannot assign more resources or drop scope, assign overtime to critical tasks to shorten the duration of those tasks.

Wednesday, November 19, 2014 12:22 PM