none
File Explorer no longer enables format or erase for DVD RW disks RRS feed

• Question

• Until about a week ago, if I mounted a RW DVD and right clicked on the drive in File Explorer, the selections on the context menu included "Erase this Disk" and "Format".  Now those items are no longer present.  Also, the "Format" and "Erase" choices at the top of the File Explorer window are now greyed out.  It's as if the system thinks the disk is not re-writable.

However, the disk behaves, as it should, like a RW disk. I can burn to it multiple times and, in fact, I can erase it with some third party programs, though only as part of a copy process, which can be cumbersome when I just want to do an erase.  As for formatting, I'm not sure how to do that now.

To sum up:  the disk is recognized, it works as it should as far as being re-writable, but File Explorer doesn't support the Format and Erase features anymore.  Also, this problem began just recently, but I've been using this computer (a Dell XP8700) for 5 years.

My Windows 10 system is completely current with updates.

Any ideas?

Friday, January 10, 2020 1:48 AM

All replies

• found a similar report: Erase and Format Commands Missing from File Explorer for DVD/RW Drive/Disk
    but can not reproduce on:
    - Windows 10 1909
    - Blu-ray BD-RE drive: HL-DT-ST BD-RE  BH16NS40
    - DVD+RW with files on it: "Format", "Eject", "Erase" are enabled (but not at the top)
    - empty DVD+RW: "Format" and "Eject" are available and enabled

Friday, January 10, 2020 3:53 PM
  • found a similar report: Erase and Format Commands Missing from File Explorer for DVD/RW Drive/Disk
    but can not reproduce on:
    - Windows 10 1909
    - Blu-ray BD-RE drive: HL-DT-ST BD-RE  BH16NS40
    - DVD+RW with files on it: "Format", "Eject", "Erase" are enabled (but not at the top)
    - empty DVD+RW: "Format" and "Eject" are available and enabled

I checked out that report, but it refers mostly to an HP system and responders suggest missing DVD drivers, which is not my situation as I have no trouble re-writing the disk as well as erasing using third party software.  I'm running Windows 10 1909 and my drive is very similar to yours, mentioned above.  Besides, I didn't have this problem until last December, after 5 years when the symptoms did not occur.

I hope someone else eventually comes up with a suggestion that at least explains (if not provides a fix for) this problem.

Sunday, February 9, 2020 2:46 AM