MAJOR PROBLEM IN WIN 98 VIRTUAL PC RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hello there

When I go to upgrade the integration components I'm met with a  THE D:/SETUP.EXE file expects a newer version of Windows. Upgrade your Windows version.

This wouldn't be such a problem if I need this to share my windows 7 folders. I do need to do that, right? I mean, when I checked on everything for 'integration features' under settings and rebooted virtual PC I still could not see anything.

Can anybody PLEASE help me?

Here, I even added a nifty recording to show you what I'm talking about. Please watch through it, thanks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PI8hvZpAd-c

Tuesday, June 14, 2011 12:33 PM

All replies

• Windows 98 is not supported under Windows VPC, so there are no new Integration Components.  You will need to continue to use the older VPC Additions for Windows 98 that you already have installed.
    • Proposed as answer by jokeli Sunday, July 10, 2011 11:47 PM
    Tuesday, June 14, 2011 5:18 PM
  • Windows 98 is not supported under Windows VPC, so there are no new Integration Components.  You will need to continue to use the older VPC Additions for Windows 98 that you already have installed.

older vpcs additions? Hmm? I just installed virtual pc last night for windows 98. And anyway, are you saying it's impossible to share folders for windows 98 in VPC?

Tuesday, June 14, 2011 9:03 PM
  • No, it's not impossible. No matter what, you can always use standard Windows file and folder sharing.  That gives you the best overall performance also.

But, you won't be able to get Windows VPC shared folders with Windows 98, onlu Windows XP SP3 and higher are supported.

If you need Win98 support, your best best would be to try VPC 2007.  You need to completely remove Windows VPC though.

• Proposed as answer by jokeli Sunday, July 10, 2011 11:47 PM
    Tuesday, June 14, 2011 9:35 PM
  • Hmm Alright. So to share files from my computer to the virtual PC in windows 98, I'd need virtual PC 2007 right?
    Wednesday, June 15, 2011 3:11 AM
  • Hmm can I can set up a ftp server on the host and log into it from the virtual machine?

Can I do this in windows 98? And if so, any links on how i'd go about doing so?

Also somebody said this, but I cant understand what the hell he's sainy:

Have you tried creating a network and having your computer that you are using the VM on?
    That's what I did with mine, and you see your computer as another PC on a network and you can access all the files and folders (permitting that you allow others in the network to access those files).

Wednesday, June 15, 2011 5:15 AM
  • Windows has it's own file and folder sharing.  You can set up your host PC to share files and access them from Win98.  It works exactly the same way as if you had 2 physical PCs.

What you will need to do is shutdown your VM and then change the network mode from Shared to use the host's network card.

You can also use FTP, you would do it exactly the same way you would with 2 physical computers.

Wednesday, June 15, 2011 4:35 PM