none
linking tasks with vague dates RRS feed

• Question

• I have a couple of tasks which need to go on project in a particular way and I wonder if anyone knows a way of doing it. Task 1 needs to be done sometime in June, it is an 8hr job, but the date has not yet been set. (so currently i have it as a fixed duration task set at one month duration with 8hrs work). Task 2 is exactly the same but is dependent on task 1.

Herein lies the problem, if I link the two tasks (FS) as they stand, task 2 appears as if it can only be done in July. i.e it can only start after the latest possible time task 1 might finish. If i link them with a SS link then it appears as if it can be done on the same day (which it can't) and if i schedule them manually, they stop moving together if I should need to budge task 1 along a bit.

What I need project to show for my report is that the 8hr task 1 will be done sometime from 1st June to 1st July and therefore the 8hr dependent task 2 can only be done sometime from 2nd June to 2nd July (i.e the range of dates by which task 1 might be finished).

Does anyone know if this can be done?

Thanks

Thursday, March 6, 2014 7:21 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Try using Start to Start link with 1 day of lag like 1 SS + 1day (assuming 1 is the task id for Task 1)

http://office.microsoft.com/en-in/project-help/set-lead-or-lag-time-float-between-tasks-HA010156787.aspx

Hope this helps.

Kiran K.

Thursday, March 6, 2014 8:26 AM
  • Thank you, I did try that but it lead to too many errors being perpetuated as I had to remember if I extended the work for task 1 to also extend the lag time on the dependency.

I have to say, if anyone from Microsoft monitors these forums, that this seems to be just another one of a number of shocking omissions in what is supposed to be the leading software of this type.

Thursday, March 6, 2014 9:45 AM
  • If you have in mind a range of dates for when a task will be performed, or even if you have in mind a particular date when you will do it, then you don't need the software because the purpose of using MSP is to model the tasks with durations and predecessors and then let it tell you when the dates will be.

MSP doesn't work in date ranges. A duration is an estimate of how long the task takes, not a range of dates during which the task might occur. You know that the task duration will not be 1 month but you have set the duration to be 1 month. Why not just estimate the duration to be 1 day? Same for task 2. Of course link them FS0.

If you want to ensure that task 1 can't start before 1 June, you could impose a date constraint on it, but I would create a task 0 which starts today and make its duration enough to push task 1 to at least 1 June and make it a FS0 predecessor of task 1. I would put the constraint on task 0. Call it "task to delay task 1" or something like that.

Thursday, March 6, 2014 11:27 AM