none
Item Level Recovery on SharePoint 2012 fails (DPM unable to query the unattached content database) RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hi all,

    I am currently doing a DPM 2012 test against our SP 2012 server. SharePoint runs on a single front-end towards a separate SQL 2008 R2 instance on our SQL server. The backup runs fine, but when I try to restore a single site it ends up with the following Critical message:

    "The recovery jobs for SharePoint Farm SharePoint Farm\SQLSERVER\INSTANCE\SharePoint_Config that started at 28. august 2012 09:57:57, with the destination of SP-FRONTEND.mydomain, have completed. Most or all jobs failed to recover the requested data. (ID 3111). DPM was unable to query the unattached content database SQLSERVER\INSTANCE\WSS_Content. Exception Message = A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance specified). (ID 323018 Details: Unknown error"

    What can I do about the "the server was not found..." error? It ran the backup just fine, and when doing a Recovery there is absolutely no problem in detecting the instance and FE server. I saw a post regarding Named Pipes on the SQL Server. I checked it, and it is enabled on our SP instance.

    Best regards, Jan.

    Tuesday, August 28, 2012 9:25 AM

All replies

  • Doesn't anyone know what to do about this?

    I have checked that the firewall is off on the SQL Server and that the SQL Browser service is running. DPM is working fine when it comes to backup and restore on file systems, and the backup part of SharePoint seems to work ok. But I havent' had any luck so far when it comes to restoring a site. And Microsofts DPM error message lists are pretty poor: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff973355 (example of the 3111 code I saw). And it is a plain vanilla setup with 2008 R2 servers (and SQL) and SP2010.

    Is granular backup/restore of SharePoint supposed to be this hard? We have tried Symantec Backup Exec, but that one doesn't restore all information. No one seems to know how to get CommVault going, and now DPM won't restore a single site... It appears as if everything is based around full farm restores. But, surely, every business needs the ability to restore single sites, lists, document libraries and so on?

    Best regards, Jan.

    Thursday, August 30, 2012 6:31 AM
  • Hi JanMK -

    I am part of the Backup Exec Product Mgmt team at Symantec.  When you tried BE, what were your issues with the restore?  Feel free to DM me if you like and I will send you my direct contact info.

    Thanks!

    Matt

    Tuesday, September 4, 2012 5:01 PM
  • Hi Matt,

    We did a simple backup/restore test using a fairly simple test site. If you used lookup-values in a list, they couldn't be restored properly. And any SharePoint Designer workflows you might have added to the site failed after the restore. We had a Symantec support case opened, but they couldn't make it work. We even made a document that detailed how to reproduce the issues.

    I have since then managed to get DPM to restore. It apparantly restores almost everything correctly. Only SPD workflows end up unattached to the list they were supposed to, and workflow actions that use list lookups end up pointing at a GUID and not a list name.

    Regards, Jan.

    Thursday, September 6, 2012 8:39 AM