none
MDT 2013 unexpected return code 3 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all, I'm trying to set up a WDSserver in domain.Software that I use us : 

Windows server 2012En 

MDT 2013 (6.2.5019.0) 

Windows 7 x64 Ru 

I'm installing AMD Catalyst 13.12drivers on target windows 7 x64 system using MDT 2013. Thosedrivers added to applicationfolder in DeploymentWorkbench and quiet install commandis: 

\\nas-m25\Volume_1\drivers\13-12_win7_win8_64_dd_ccc_whql\$_OUTDIR\Bin64\\InstallManagerApp.exe /UNATTENDED_INSTALL /FORCE_HIDE_FIRST_RUN /AUTOACCEPT_ALL /ON_REBOOT_MESSAGE:NO /FORCE_CLOSE_WHEN_DONE 

After windows is installed, automatically starts installation of AMDdriver, I can see how it's install because it's graphical install, but I don't need press any buttons, after install done I see that drivers at last window says that all ok, then windows rebooting and I get MDT error : 

application videodriver returned unexpected return code 3 

I search in internet bud don't find any answers about that error. 

I check Programs and Features and see that drivers installed, then I start Catalyst Control Center and its ok. But I feeling that something still not ok because MDT return error. How I can fix that error ? 

Thx for answers. 

Tuesday, March 4, 2014 2:58 PM

Answers

• When any application install program returns a non-zero value ZTIAPplicaitons.wsf will assume that the setup program encountered an error. That is not *allways* true, but true for 98% of all setup installs.

The real question is: Is the errorlevel 3 returned by the install program an actual error, or just an arbitrary value without meaning?

If the value of 3 is benign (not harmful), then I would write a script to call the install program and force a result of "zero" to let ZTIAPplications know it was OK. Otherwise you could set ApplicationSuccessCodes=3 to let the error pass.

Otherwise if ErrorLevel 3 *is* a failure, then you should check the logs from the install program to determine why it's failing. ATI should be able to provide more information.

Keith Garner - keithga.wordpress.com

Thursday, March 6, 2014 7:41 PM

All replies

• Hi all, I'm trying to set up a WDSserver in domain.Software that I use us : 

Windows server 2012En 

MDT 2013 (6.2.5019.0) 

Windows 7 x64 Ru 

I'm installing AMD Catalyst 13.12drivers on target windows 7 x64 system using MDT 2013. Thosedrivers added to applicationfolder in DeploymentWorkbench and quiet install commandis: 

\\nas-m25\Volume_1\drivers\13-12_win7_win8_64_dd_ccc_whql\$_OUTDIR\Bin64\\InstallManagerApp.exe /UNATTENDED_INSTALL /FORCE_HIDE_FIRST_RUN /AUTOACCEPT_ALL /ON_REBOOT_MESSAGE:NO /FORCE_CLOSE_WHEN_DONE 

After windows is installed, automatically starts installation of AMDdriver, I can see how it's install because it's graphical install, but I don't need press any buttons, after install done I see that drivers at last window says that all ok, then windows rebooting and I get MDT error : 

application videodriver returned unexpected return code 3 

I search in internet bud don't find any answers about that error. 

I check Programs and Features and see that drivers installed, then I start Catalyst Control Center and its ok. But I feeling that something still not ok because MDT return error. How I can fix that error ? 

Thx for answers. 

Can you post your logs somewhere and provide a link to them?
    Tuesday, March 4, 2014 3:58 PM

• Can you post your logs somewhere and provide a link to them?
    What logs I need to post ? There so many logs that generates during install
    Tuesday, March 4, 2014 4:05 PM

• Can you post your logs somewhere and provide a link to them?
    What logs I need to post ? There so many logs that generates during install

I would suggest bdd.log, smsts.log, and ztiapplication.log
    Tuesday, March 4, 2014 4:24 PM
  • here logs that I find on a target pc, hope it helps find why error happens

bdd.log 

Ztiapplication.log 

smsts.log

smsts1.log

Tuesday, March 4, 2014 9:12 PM

bdd.log 

Ztiapplication.log 

smsts.log

smsts1.log

I was able to install the drivers from the command line, bypassing the installmanagerapp.exe program. Here’s how:

First of all, locate the folder where the ATI drivers have been expanded. I use Windows 7 64 bit, so look for a subfolder called Bin64. This folder contains the troublesome installmanagerapp.exe! Also in that folder you will find a command line utility called atisetup.exe. Start a Command Prompt (run as Administrator) and try running atisetup.exe – you’ll see a whole load of command line options. I simply followed the first example (ATISetup.exe -Install -output screen) and it successfully installed the driver and the Catalyst Control Panel

Wednesday, March 5, 2014 12:03 AM

bdd.log 

Ztiapplication.log 

smsts.log

smsts1.log

I was able to install the drivers from the command line, bypassing the installmanagerapp.exe program. Here’s how:

First of all, locate the folder where the ATI drivers have been expanded. I use Windows 7 64 bit, so look for a subfolder called Bin64. This folder contains the troublesome installmanagerapp.exe! Also in that folder you will find a command line utility called atisetup.exe. Start a Command Prompt (run as Administrator) and try running atisetup.exe – you’ll see a whole load of command line options. I simply followed the first example (ATISetup.exe -Install -output screen) and it successfully installed the driver and the Catalyst Control Panel

I know that path, but it's gives unexpected return code 3 too

Wednesday, March 5, 2014 9:16 AM
  • When any application install program returns a non-zero value ZTIAPplicaitons.wsf will assume that the setup program encountered an error. That is not *allways* true, but true for 98% of all setup installs.

The real question is: Is the errorlevel 3 returned by the install program an actual error, or just an arbitrary value without meaning?

If the value of 3 is benign (not harmful), then I would write a script to call the install program and force a result of "zero" to let ZTIAPplications know it was OK. Otherwise you could set ApplicationSuccessCodes=3 to let the error pass.

Otherwise if ErrorLevel 3 *is* a failure, then you should check the logs from the install program to determine why it's failing. ATI should be able to provide more information.

Keith Garner - keithga.wordpress.com

Thursday, March 6, 2014 7:41 PM