XP upgrade to Win 7? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a fairly old Dell Inspiron 2200 that runs XP, and would like to upgrade it to Win 7 or 8--7 preferred.

Is it possible to do this?

Tuesday, August 16, 2016 5:33 PM

Answers

• Microsoft no longer sells retail upgrade versions of Windows 7. A Dell Inspiron 2200 is technologically obsolete and should be recycled.

Carey Frisch

Wednesday, August 24, 2016 1:34 AM

All replies

• I quickly looked at the specs for the 2200 and i would recommend, if it hasn't already been done, upgrading the memory(RAM) to at least 4 gigabytes.  I would go with the x86(32-bit version) of windows 7.  I have several old Dell Latitude 6400's running that setup.  They aren't the fastest in the world but they do get the job done.  I even have one setup with a dual boot(Windows 7, Kali Linux).  
    Tuesday, August 16, 2016 6:04 PM
  • Microsoft no longer sells retail upgrade versions of Windows 7. A Dell Inspiron 2200 is technologically obsolete and should be recycled.

Carey Frisch

Wednesday, August 24, 2016 1:34 AM
  • Hello Mike.

There is no supported upgrade path from Windows XP to Windows 7 or 8: both these Windows version will require a clean install.
    Furthermore, you should verify the availability of Windows 7 and/or Windows 8 compliant drivers for your system before trying to install one of those Windows versions.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno
    MCP, MCTS, MOS, MTA

Tuesday, October 4, 2016 9:00 PM