No DVD Playback after upgrading to Windows 10 RRS feed

• Question

• I recently upgraded my laptop computer from Vista to Windows 10. In doing so I discovered I could not play DVD's afterward. I was told that I needed to download software for it to operate in Windows 10. I downloaded some free software which did not work. Afterward I paid for DVD software from microsoft which didn't solve my issue. Can anyone recommend a solution for my problem ?

Thursday, April 13, 2017 2:31 AM

Answers

All replies

• Windows 10 does not include DVD playback software. Try PowerDVD.

Carey Frisch

Thursday, April 13, 2017 2:51 AM
  • Did you get any recovery DVDs from the manufacturer?

One of them likely has your operating system and the other your applications.

One of the applications is likely cyberlink.

If that is the application you had when you used vista.

Once the old version of the application is installed you can then update it.

And after you update the application go to your computer company's web site and then download the latest drivers.

There is third party software available on downloads.com such as VHC and cyberlink.  I don't know if one is better than the other.  It is a matter of what you have been using

When I use cyberlink and then use driver verifier I often get BSOD.  Then I download the latest drivers and still get BSOD using driver verifier.  So you may be able to use various software.  Getting the best drivers and a stable system are also important.

Thursday, April 13, 2017 5:29 AM
  • Hi ,

Based on your description, this issue occurs after upgrading to Windows 10. It could be an incompatible issue. To make a device work well, we should get compatible drivers and the drivers are usually released by the device manufacturer website. What is your machine model? We need to check whether the device manufacturer website has released the Windows 10 compatible driver for your model machine. If yes, you`d better uninstall the current DVD/CD-ROM drive from Device Manager, then download and install the latest Windows 10 compatible driver for your DVD/CD-ROM drive from the device manufacturer website. Check if it helps. If no, you`d better to revert back to previously Windows, in case there are some incompatible issues.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, April 14, 2017 2:21 AM
  • Also, is the DVD drive showing up in the Device Manager without error?

Which laptop (make/model)?

Friday, April 14, 2017 1:09 PM
  • What was the name of the software that you had been using to play DVD's when you had Vista?

In the left lower corner search type troubleshooting and open the troubleshooting control panel.

Please run:

1) Program compatibility troubleshooter

a) select advanced to run as administrator

2) go through the menu and run others as needed (hardware and devices, video playback, windows media player DVD, playing audio etc.

If none of the above fix the problem please confirm that you have working hardware:  To troubleshoot your issue you can download any of the free dvd playing software (there are many) on downloads.com.  Once you confirm that you can play a dvd (software) and your hardware is working properly you now know it is related to the dvd software that you have when using Vista.

Then you can look for a fresh download of the application and/or update drivers from the computer manufacturers website.

Friday, April 14, 2017 6:35 PM
  • I recently upgraded my laptop computer from Vista to Windows 10. In doing so I discovered I could not play DVD's afterward. I was told that I needed to download software for it to operate in Windows 10. I downloaded some free software which did not work. Afterward I paid for DVD software from microsoft which didn't solve my issue. Can anyone recommend a solution for my problem ?

Install VLC for Windows

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-windows.html

It is Free.
    It plays DVDs, and almost all formats of video files.
    It is well known and highly recommended.

I use it on all my Windows 10 laptops.

Friday, April 14, 2017 8:47 PM
  • Hi 4givn1,

We haven’t heard from you in a couple of days, have you solved the problem? We are looking forward to your good news.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, April 26, 2017 1:41 AM